Broadband Firms Urged To Support Low-Income Homes.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

If you look at the figures there are far more people who could be claiming benefits but aren't, than there are claiming benefits but shouldn't. The latter catagory is actually very small. The numbers are exagerated in people's minds by all the bad publicity which is out of all proportion to the actual number. 

It's actually hard work being on benefits, not to mention soul destroying. I don't know anyone on benefits who wouldn't rather have a job, and try very hard to get one. 

Unfortunately the jobs on offer are often in the 'gig economy', contract work, 0 hours etc. so no job security whatsoever. Maybe 15 hours one week, 5 hours the next and 0 the next. How can people budget and get themselves back on top like that? Some of the contracts are exclusive, they want you available 24/7 so not available for any other work, though they feel under no obligation to supply the worker with any hours at all.   And these jobs are often not much better than scams. There is always an argument about how many hours have been worked, then there are the 'deductions' for 'safety equipment' etc. It's a whole new world for anybody who has never experienced it. And when the contract is up it's another 2 month wait on top to receive benefits again.  

It's creeping up the social scale too. I know quite a few very unhappy 'middle class' unemployed, who are horrified to learn that after many years of solid working, they are not entitled to any benefits at all because they have put money asside for their old age and have savings.

Also, of all these people that criticise the unemployed and those on benefits, I don't no anyone of then that would swap places. Ask yourself  why.

A person in work can always jack it in. But a person on benefits/sickness cannot just get a job so easily, if at all.

4 hours ago, Janus said:

On this forum, and probably other forums too, we see  working class people criticising other working class people.  

I don't know the status of the beraters, but it happens so often that many of the critics must also be working class people too.

All you are doing is making a rod for your own backs. The consequenches of your thoughts and words eventually come around and bite you-be it when you fall ill or when the gov squeezes  your income etc. 

You are doing the dividing & conquering  for the elite When will you learn? 

Often for very good reason too.

Some of the working class are fed up with constantly losing chunks of their pay in tax to supplement the lifestyles of  so-called other working class who can't be bothered. The sorts of people who breed without caring about the responsibilities. The sorts of people who could work full-time permanent roles but much prefer to wollow away on the dole drifting from one short-term job to another expecting the state i.e. the rest of us to fill in the gaps.  The sorts of people who won't take responsibility for themselves because hey, someone else will pay the bill for their Healthcare, or pay for their recklessness or substance abuse or drunken behaviour....

As others have said, not everyone lingering on benefits is genuinely in need or disabled or infirm or jobless.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, Lenlunn said:

who will finish up paying for it? think i pay enough in income tax without having another cost added.by the way ive been retired twenty years and still paying taxes ,dosent go down well with me at all. trouble is these days the people on u.c think there entitled to it what about working for a living like me and a lot more old uns that had to work. if you didnt work you got nowt

The people using the services will pay for them. They are limited connections for cheaper prices. Don't forget, the government can't save money on services by requiring people to do things online if people can't get online.

17 minutes ago, Janus said:

Ah, another Daily mail reader. 

Well it's not the world's biggest online news site for nothing. It's interesting how much criticism it gets and how people are lazily tarred as being a 'Daily Mail reader'  despite the fact that  it's website is among the most profitable of all the media sector.

Plenty of closet readers trying to pretend otherwise by the looks of it.