Broadband Firms Urged To Support Low-Income Homes.

That TV clip is a strange spectacle when you consider that Philip and Holly are probably paid more than £50K per month each just to sit around and ask questions for a few hours a day. They admit that the mother is also being paid by the production company to appear on the programme.  She says that she is so broody she's addicted to having kids; and why should she apologise for that?  It can't be easy to give birth to (and look after) 14 kids while also working 16 hours per week.  Isn't it sick that ITV profit from turning this into a spectacle for their commercial benefit?

Anyway, Internet access is now nearly as important as being permitted to walk on the pavements.  Fortunately we don't have to pay private companies for that privilege, yet.

16 minutes ago, wotnot said:

Anyway, Internet access is now nearly as important as being permitted to walk on the pavements.  Fortunately we don't have to pay private companies for that privilege, yet.

Having internet is not a right

Neither is owning an iPhone or a 65" TV

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

On the Community Fibre and Virgin options, but the others don't seem that far off normal connection rates to me.

That was just a suggestion based on the very limited information given. You'd have to compare the companies' normal offerings with their social ones to get a fair comparison. I'm sure the companies would want to maintain as much differentiation as possible to justify higher prices for their normal offerings so it's likely more than just speed. I'll leave any such comparison to you if you are that bothered about it.

48 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

At the very least, it's a civil right.

These days it is very difficult to avoid using the internet and a phone.  A lot of services demand you provide a mobile number and make it difficult to communicate with them unless you do so online.  It is surprisingly difficult to manage without a smartphone now. The internet and a mobile phone are becoming like a de facto requirement.

Edited by wotnot

9 hours ago, wotnot said:

At the very least, it's a civil right.

These days it is very difficult to avoid using the internet and a phone.  A lot of services demand you provide a mobile number and make it difficult to communicate with them unless you do so online.  It is surprisingly difficult to manage without a smartphone now. The internet and a mobile phone are becoming like a de facto requirement.

I seem to remember back in the day  when Blair was in power and  it was becoming increasingly impossible to live day to day life without the internet he ordered all local councils to make the internet available for anyone to use at public libraries.   End of problem.

14 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Internet is not a right but it is a necessity.

I believe the unemployed  cannot access benefits unless they apply online, and need to log in daily or weekly to contribute information online as well. They are told if they do not have the internet, to use the local library's internet, which is a joke considering a lot of local libraries have shut down thanks to Tory cuts, and it requires either bus fare or a long walk to find a library open, and with working computers (many are broken or awaiting repair.) 

All part of the agenda to make benefits hard to access. 

The Internet is now embedded in our lives, it is not a luxury but an essential to navigate the modern world. We saw an example of this during the pandemic with online lessons etc which could not be accessed by some children in poorer households.

Personally I deplore it, and much prefer snail mail etc. My internet is always going wrong, (or I am,) and I find it a source of much stress. I am now so exasperated with it, (along with call centres,) I would happily go back to the old ways, but it's simply not possible. 

Edited by Anna B