Should Teachers Be Allowed To Express Political Beliefs?

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

No. They are forced to be vegetarian whilst at school.

This is unfair and quite discriminatory. 

There is fish on the menu, so the kids aren't being forced to be vegetarian.

It looks to be an odd decision though.

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Universities have a different relationship with Government than schools, so I don't think a parallel can be drawn.

As for the school that has banned meat, well she's the headteacher, and presumably it's within her power to do this. I'm assuming she will have had the backing of the board of Governors. 

The children aren't being forced to be vegetarian, the children will be able to eat meat at home. 

Well ain't that nice of the head teacher to have decided for them. 🥴.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My one-pennorth for this topic: That head looks like she needs to go on a diet, anyway - maybe a bit of self-pity? Or just a control freak?

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

My one-pennorth for this topic: That head looks like she needs to go on a diet, anyway - maybe a bit of self-pity? Or just a control freak?

I can't comment on her weight seeing as I'm made up of around 90% lard but yeah,possibly a bit of a control freak 

Teachers should be teaching critical thinking, to look at both sides of history and examine peer review literature and articles to make up their own minds.  Teachers pushing their own opinions and doctrines could end up with students believing that the holocaust was justified, Stalins purges were fine and Trumps racist attitudes were acceptable etc.  Both left and right wing fanatics pushing their own agendas will merely promote the attitude that the internet is right and experts aint

Teachers pet opinions and beliefs should be left outside the classroom

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Universities have a different relationship with Government than schools, so I don't think a parallel can be drawn.

As for the school that has banned meat, well she's the headteacher, and presumably it's within her power to do this. I'm assuming she will have had the backing of the board of Governors. 

The children aren't being forced to be vegetarian, the children will be able to eat meat at home. 

It is possible that the childs only hot meal that day is at school, so yes, she IS forcing them to be vegetarian

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I dont think any of that should be taught to kids under 16 years old

If kids want to take an interest with A level and then at University then fine 

But under 16 year olds should focus on the basics with history & geography being the only class that talks about politics but under strict curriculum guidelines 

History was always a subject I enjoyed, though I  learned much more about it in depth in adult life  and am still learning. It's never to late to gain further knowledge.

May I just point out that in your post replying to me you quoted two comments at the beginning that were not mine but were from Dromedary post 9. 

I mention this because it wouldnt be fair to take credit  for the comments even though I stated I agreed with them

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

I thought that it was obligitory for teachers to be left of Lenin.

You might be forgiven for thinking that when I see all the biased guff written in the Daily Mail etc. who really seem to have it in for teachers. I see you all assume that it's left wing bias that is being 'indoctrinated,' but in my own experience most teachers are a bit middle class, rather than left wing, and all would try to present a balanced view of things.

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

ive had that arguement before with somebody at work due to me being veggie and my kids not eating meat when young. Meat is only seen to be eaten as normal due to tradition nothing more, whether its meat or vegetarian, food is food. If parents at home eat meat the children are indoctrinated to eat meat and vice versa.

Being shown a different way is good i think, it gives choice, it shows theres more roads to go down than the narrow straight one.

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

ive had that arguement before with somebody at work due to me being veggie and my kids not eating meat when young. Meat is only seen to be eaten as normal due to tradition nothing more, whether its meat or vegetarian, food is food. If parents at home eat meat the children are indoctrinated to eat meat and vice versa.

Being shown a different way is good i think, it gives choice, it shows theres more roads to go down than the narrow straight one.

My bold.

Not necessarily. Both my parents were veggie. I was as a young Un but started eating meat as a lad. 

As for being shown a different way, yeah I agree it's good but that's not what is happening at the school.

1 person has banned everyone from choosing to eat meat.

That's not a choice for the kids.