Should Teachers Be Allowed To Express Political Beliefs?

Just now, Jack Grey said:

"Use the word 'Teach' when its in the curriculum....

...but then use the word 'Indoctrinate' when its just some far left activist teachers wet dream" - Jack Grey 2022

I've just been indoctrinated

13 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

Teachers should not teach their own opinion but stick to the curriculum. About 25 years ago when our daughter was about 15 she was coming home and giving her dad some grief. She said "when I am 16 you can't tell me what to do anymore", "men can't tell women what to do", "men dominate women". For weeks she was getting worse about men being sexist etc. I challenged her about all this and found out it was her female teacher that was teaching this. Parents evening came along and when I met the teacher concerned, my husband sat quiet, whilst I gave her hell. My husband is far from what my daughter had been taught about men. My daughter understood what she had listened to was wrong and apologised. She didn't need to apologise for what her teacher had taught her.

Are men supperior to women in your world? The world has changed, children will learn this.

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

I hear the Government is trying to dictate what teachers can and cannot teach with regards to cultural /political beliefs.

They say it is 'indoctrinating' pupils. Is it? I would say we should trust our teachers to provide balance. 

History, for example, 'is written by the winning side.' Surely there are two sides to every story and a teacher is duty bound to explain that, as clearly as they can. Sometimes the truth hurts, but does that mean it shouldn't be put out there?

Surely the confirmation bias of the internet is a far greater threat to truth than a teacher (who, incidently, should be pointing confirmation bias out.) 

I am proud to live in a country which has freedom of expression and the courage to tell it like it is, (which should also be pointed out.) I see that as a great strength not a weakness.

What do you think?  

As long as the educator in no way tries to influence the student,  I think they should be allowed to express their views.

In todays world, people see much more via social media so think its unavoidable.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

As long as the educator in no way tries to influence the student,  I think they should be allowed to express their views.

In todays world, people see much more via social media so think its unavoidable.

Teachers try and encourage critical thinking. I believe it's part of the curriculum. To do that you have to have a good grasp of the issues from different points of view in order to make up your own mind.

Once again I think we should trust teachers to promote a balanced view.

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

Agree,  what happened to choice?

On this I agree. I happen to think the headteacher has overstepped the mark.

Edited by Anna B

Here's  some "common sense" from a parent who is against teaching CRT to his children, a racist theory that promotes the idea that the color of one's skin is the major determinant of their place in society.

This post will interest parents who actually have children in school!

"North Carolina dad goes viral for anti-CRT school board speech":

"Parents are taking back the wheel"

"Echevarria, who described himself as "bi-racial, bilingual, [and] multicultural," said no school administrators or curriculum had the right to call him or his children "oppressed" based on the color of their skin.

"The fact is, in America, I can do anything I want, and I teach that to my children," he started his remarks, "and the person who tells my pecan-color skins that they’re oppressed based on the color of their skin would be absolutely wrong and absolutely at war with me."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-dad-viral-crt-school-board-parents-wheel

28 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Here's  some "common sense" from a parent who is against teaching CRT to his children, a racist theory that promotes the idea that the color of one's skin is the major determinant of their place in society.

This post will interest parents who actually have children in school!

"North Carolina dad goes viral for anti-CRT school board speech":

"Parents are taking back the wheel"

"Echevarria, who described himself as "bi-racial, bilingual, [and] multicultural," said no school administrators or curriculum had the right to call him or his children "oppressed" based on the color of their skin.

"The fact is, in America, I can do anything I want, and I teach that to my children," he started his remarks, "and the person who tells my pecan-color skins that they’re oppressed based on the color of their skin would be absolutely wrong and absolutely at war with me."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-dad-viral-crt-school-board-parents-wheel

There's certainly a problem with 'victim' culture too.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

There's certainly a problem with 'victim' culture too.

Why should his beautiful children have to go through life with carrying the burden of victimhood, as defined by the color of their skin, by arrogant moral supremacist white racists?

Here's what another common sense black leader  once said!

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King.

And another quote from the current leftist U.S. President:

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.' - Joe Biden

So just who exactly is standing in the way of MLK's dream?

Edited by trastrick

The teacher involved in the meat free controversy has form...how she still has her job is a anyones guess.

I guess thats the downside of having teachers unions

In 2015 her school received the lowest possible rating from OFSTED and the school faced ridicule and condemnation after the head teacher ripped up the rule book and scrapped all punishments for bad pupils.

She also banned teachers from raising their voices insisted no child was ever to be considered naughty.

Traditional fixed times for playtime and lunch were also scrapped with the pupils deciding when they wanted to eat or have a break.

Instead of getting angry teachers were told to say: 'You have emptied my resilience bucket' and send misbehaving pupils to the 'nurture room' if their behaviour got out of control.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3249078/Inspectors-slam-primary-school-s-no-thing-naughty-child-teachers-banned-raising-voices-Ofsted-s-lowest-possible-rating.html