Should Teachers Be Allowed To Express Political Beliefs?

6 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The teacher involved in the meat free controversy has form...how she still has her job is a anyones guess.

I guess thats the downside of having teachers unions

In 2015 her school received the lowest possible rating from OFSTED and the school faced ridicule and condemnation after the head teacher ripped up the rule book and scrapped all punishments for bad pupils.

She also banned teachers from raising their voices insisted no child was ever to be considered naughty.

Traditional fixed times for playtime and lunch were also scrapped with the pupils deciding when they wanted to eat or have a break.

Instead of getting angry teachers were told to say: 'You have emptied my resilience bucket' and send misbehaving pupils to the 'nurture room' if their behaviour got out of control.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3249078/Inspectors-slam-primary-school-s-no-thing-naughty-child-teachers-banned-raising-voices-Ofsted-s-lowest-possible-rating.html

Hmmm... :huh:

How she got the job in the first place is perhaps an even bigger worry! :suspect:

35 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

How she got the job in the first place is perhaps an even bigger worry! :suspect:

That's a bit harsh.

As I've said, IMO she overstepped the mark on this, but she might be an excellent headteacher with good objectives that far outweigh this negative one. And it may be that there are other criteria in this decision. We just don't know.

Edited by Anna B

56 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

In 2015 her school received the lowest possible rating from OFSTED and the school faced ridicule and condemnation after the head teacher ripped up the rule book and scrapped all punishments for bad pupils.

Barrowford School was inspected on 15th and 16th June 2016 where we were graded ‘Good’ in all areas.

Is she still there?

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Barrowford School was inspected on 15th and 16th June 2016 where we were graded ‘Good’ in all areas.

Is she still there?

Yes. It is the same head.

Presumably she instituted changes to the satisfaction of the inspectors.

Still not frightened of controversy, though?

16 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is she still there?

in 2015 it was rated as 'Inadequate' but i guess they made some changes in 2016

The reports are here....

2015: https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/2510300

2016: https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/2582024

20 hours ago, Fiat500 said:

Teachers should not teach their own opinion but stick to the curriculum. About 25 years ago when our daughter was about 15 she was coming home and giving her dad some grief. She said "when I am 16 you can't tell me what to do anymore", "men can't tell women what to do", "men dominate women". For weeks she was getting worse about men being sexist etc. I challenged her about all this and found out it was her female teacher that was teaching this. Parents evening came along and when I met the teacher concerned, my husband sat quiet, whilst I gave her hell. My husband is far from what my daughter had been taught about men. My daughter understood what she had listened to was wrong and apologised. She didn't need to apologise for what her teacher had taught her.

Sounds like one of the raging man haters who I made a formal complaint against at my daughter former school.  

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

On this I agree. I happen to think the headteacher has overstepped the mark.

The governments 'School meals - healthy eating standards' state that it has to be a BALANCED meal.....vegetarian is not a balanced meal

Food served in some schools and academies in England must meet the school food standards so that children have healthy, balanced diets.

The school food standards apply to all maintained schools, and academies that were founded before 2010 and after June 2014.

They must provide:

• high-quality meat, poultry or oily fish
  • fruit and vegetables
  • bread, other cereals and potatoes

There can’t be:

• drinks with added sugar, crisps, chocolate or sweets in school meals and vending machines
  • more than 2 portions of deep-fried, battered or breaded food a week

https://www.gov.uk/school-meals-healthy-eating-standards

Edited by Jack Grey

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

The governments 'School meals - healthy eating standards' state that it has to be a BALANCED meal.....vegetarian is not a balanced meal

Food served in some schools and academies in England must meet the school food standards so that children have healthy, balanced diets.

The school food standards apply to all maintained schools, and academies that were founded before 2010 and after June 2014.

They must provide:

• high-quality meat, poultry or oily fish
  • fruit and vegetables
  • bread, other cereals and potatoes

There can’t be:

• drinks with added sugar, crisps, chocolate or sweets in school meals and vending machines
  • more than 2 portions of deep-fried, battered or breaded food a week

https://www.gov.uk/school-meals-healthy-eating-standards

The school doesn't just provide vegetarian food.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Teachers try and encourage critical thinking. I believe it's part of the curriculum. To do that you have to have a good grasp of the issues from different points of view in order to make up your own mind.

Once again I think we should trust teachers to promote a balanced view.

On this I agree. I happen to think the headteacher has overstepped the mark.

I'd have no problem with teachers expressing views if balanced.

There will be situations where highly charged political stances are held by some students- and surely these are discussed in related classes/ subject matter.

Take the Israel and Palestinian conflict as one example. That is one sensitive topic.

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

I'd have no problem with teachers expressing views if balanced.

There will be situations where highly charged political stances are held by some students- and surely these are discussed in related classes/ subject matter.

Take the Israel and Palestinian conflict as one example. That is one sensitive topic.

Yeah i think we can all guess what side of the argument a leftie teacher will fall on that conflict

Id bet my house it wont be on Israel's side