First Gold Medal! women's curling

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

I don't know why you commented, as nothing to do with my OP. 

You sound like someone who reads western news, and judges purely on that. Do you know they guy you quoted in youtube? Do you know his story? 

See if you can say, without looking up more. You might know him, I don't know. He's well known to people who study China/Chinese.

Hi Ash,

Apologies if I upset you.

It relates to the topic, as the Olympics are held in China. I'm not aware I'm breaking any rules. It's a free forum, so if you have a problem, I suggest you report my post and allow the good people who run the forum to decide if my post should be removed or not.

As I mentioned earlier, my intent isn't at all to detract away from the competitors.

I'm curious, do you find exposure of the Chinese government's nefarious nature, troublesome? I only ask because, it's happened in the past on here, Sheffield Forum has been swarmed by pro-Chinese government shills. Seriously.

Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, I'm very familiar with him and his story, though I don't know him personally of course. I'm also familiar with his friend, and their travels around the China, encounters with the CCP, and eventual escape from China.

I'm confused as to your comment on me being someone who only reads western news. If you have more to share, please feel free. What other news do you have that relates to the topic at hand?

Kind regards to you,

Waldo.

On 22/02/2022 at 00:28, Waldo said:

Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, I'm very familiar with him and his story, though I don't know him personally of course. I'm also familiar with his friend, and their travels around the China, encounters with the CCP, and eventual escape from China.

He knew what he was doing was wrong.

You can make films in China openly, but cannot record people (interview) without a reporter license. 

You also cannot slag off the government openly, and he knew this, and everyone knows this. 

He got caught from his youtube channel which is tolerated, but not when used to slag off the country. He knew this as well as the other guy. They pushed their luck too far, and had to get out before getting arrested for breaking the law.

I thought you picked a video that really spelled out what is open info anyway... ''you HAVE to have a health APP on your phone''.

That's only big news to westerners, so that's why I assume you are just posting western journalism. They alongside many countries had a health APP, before UK and the west were still arguing about facemasks.

Let me post a better film to watch... how to 'get away' with using youtube in China. Post how friendly people are when you speak in their language,.  his English is good too, 

Edited by *_ash_*

6 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

He knew what he was doing was wrong.

You can make films in China openly, but cannot record people (interview) without a reporter license. 

You also cannot slag off the government openly, and he knew this, and everyone knows this. 

He got caught from his youtube channel which is tolerated, but not when used to slag off the country. He knew this as well as the other guy. They pushed their luck too far, and had to get out before getting arrested for breaking the law.

I suspect we have very different views on this.

Given the nature of the CCP, I’m absolutely astounded you consider anyone exposing them, to be in the wrong!

Regarding the other video you posted, yes, a lot of Chinese people are lovely, contentious and warm hearted. A lot of people all over the world are lovely. Criticism of the CCP, isn’t criticism of the Chinese people (though proponents of the CCP, may try to conflate the CCP with the Chinese people).

Anyhow, if you want to continue this debate, let’s start a new thread, specifically relating to criticism of the Chinese government. Makes no sense to mix it in with Olympics talk.

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

I suspect we have very different views on this.

Given the nature of the CCP, I’m absolutely astounded you consider anyone exposing them, to be in the wrong!

1st part, yes. So perhaps just leave it there.

2nd, 'when in Rome'... as we say. He broke laws in a foreign country.

He knew it. He knew he was breaking the law, so in this respect, I have no sympathy for his attacks on another country and how it is run. 

If someone comes to England and breaks the law, because they can do something in their own country, I equally think is wrong. 

4 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

1st part, yes. So perhaps just leave it there.

2nd, 'when in Rome'... as we say. He broke laws in a foreign country.

He knew it. He knew he was breaking the law, so in this respect, I have no sympathy for his attacks on another country and how it is run. 

If someone comes to England and breaks the law, because they can do something in their own country, I equally think is wrong. 

I know right, those Tiananmen square protesters, and HK student protests, absolutely no sympathy for anyone who breaks laws set by a nefarious authoritian regime like the CCP.

We definitely have polar opposite views on this Ash, so let’s leave it here.

Edited by Waldo