Energy Supply In The Future

If there is a single issue that requires long term planning then this is it.

We have lived for years with supplies of gas and electricity that have been affordable for most .

Coal gas,Natural gas,Coal fired power stations,Nuclear power stations,Renewable energy sources etc. have come and in some cases gone.

It is time for our politicians to agree on a joint policy that will be carried through whichever government is in power .

Our short term  government system,compounded by a succession of changes in ministerial responsibilities does not lend itself to any long term strategy.

I understand nuclear fusion (at room temperature) is but a short step away.  That should make way for cheap safe energy. 

I think we should also be looking at tidal power. The tides change twice  a day come what may, and can be harnessed to generate power. A mix of systems is no bad thing and would give us versatillity

I agree that the government need to get its act together and plan for the long term. This is not a party issue and needs overseeing by an all party committee involving scientists, business, academics, ecologists and all those with an interest.

And it needs to begin sooner rather than later. 

21 minutes ago, bassett one said:

get them pits open as we have plenty of fuel ,forget globle warming,do what other do and get back to cheap fuel

I certainly don’t get the shipping of pelletised wood chips half way round the world to replace coal.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I understand nuclear fusion (at room temperature) is but a short step away.  That should make way for cheap safe energy. 

I think we should also be looking at tidal power. The tides change twice  a day come what may, and can be harnessed to generate power. A mix of systems is no bad thing and would give us versatillity

I agree that the government need to get its act together and plan for the long term. This is not a party issue and needs overseeing by an all party committee involving scientists, business, academics, ecologists and all those with an interest.

And it needs to begin sooner rather than later. 

Nuclear fusion has long been hoped for and I think that there has recently been some advances,but only on a very small scale.

Even existing technology based on nuclear reactors take years to come on line ,and regrettably we squandered our early expertise and are now dependant on foreign technology.

I totally agree with your final paragraph 

There was a break though in fusion the other week, well in a fashion 

Fusion requires temperatures of 100 million celcius  ,that's a toasty room temp ☹️

The break though the other day at the experimental reactor gave a record output but the energy in was still more than out. 

If fusion can be made to work it will be 50 years before any comes on line

Edited by butlers

3 hours ago, butlers said:

There was a break though in fusion the other week, well in a fashion 

Fusion requires temperatures of 100 million celcius  ,that's a toasty room temp ☹️

The break though the other day at the experimental reactor gave a record output but the energy in was still more than out. 

If fusion can be made to work it will be 50 years before any comes on line

We don't have 50 years. Necessity is the mother of invention.