Swfc Looking For Top Training Ground

bassett one

8 minutes ago, sibon said:

Yorkshire tried to develop a first class ground there. I think it was after they lost Bramall Lane. I'll try to dig out some details

Sheffield United CC was formed in 1854, when several Sheffield cricket clubs were brought together under that name, the first use of ‘United’ in the name of a sports club in the UK. A new ground was built for the club at Bramall Lane, originally shared with Sheffield FC, then Sheffield Wednesday, before the club established Sheffield United FC in 1889. The cricket club was a founder member of the old Yorkshire League in 1933, leaving Bramall Lane to move to Bawtry Road in 1973. More recently the ground was purchased and developed by Sheffield Hallam University. SUCC has three Saturday teams in the YCSPL as well as a strong junior section. 

5 hours ago, Alextopman said:
Sheffield United CC was formed in 1854, when several Sheffield cricket clubs were brought together under that name, the first use of ‘United’ in the name of a sports club in the UK. A new ground was built for the club at Bramall Lane, originally shared with Sheffield FC, then Sheffield Wednesday, before the club established Sheffield United FC in 1889. The cricket club was a founder member of the old Yorkshire League in 1933, leaving Bramall Lane to move to Bawtry Road in 1973. More recently the ground was purchased and developed by Sheffield Hallam University. SUCC has three Saturday teams in the YCSPL as well as a strong junior section. 

I think we are at cross purposes.

Yorkshire spent quite a bit of cash in the 70s trying to bring Bawtry Road up to first class standard. It didn't work out, so they played a few games at Abbeydale for years, before buggering off back to Leeds.

As I say, that's my recollection. Google isn't helping me though. But we do have plenty of experts with long memories on here. Maybe one of them can remember something. 

Edited by sibon

1 minute ago, sibon said:

I think we are at cross purposes.

Yorkshire spent quite a bit of cash in the 70s trying to bring Bawtry Road up to first class standard. It didn't work out, so they played a few games at Abbeydale for years, before buggering off back to Leeds.

As I say, that's my recollection. Google isn't helping me though. But we do have plenty of experts with long memories on here. Maybe one of them can remember something. 

Yorkshire CC  have been based in Leeds since 1893.

The Blades use to train at the Ball Inn ground on Myrtle Road but now that's a housing estate.

From the images on Google Earth it looks like the actual pub has gone down hill and is now closed.

Just shows what happens when most of its customers aka SUFC leave the area.

echo

2 hours ago, prince al said:

It was a disgraceful act of urban vandalism when they knocked the beautiful old pavilion down.

Shame it wasnt preserved in some way, guess its progress, was  great for us cricket fans to have both sports in the city.

On the topic, pretty sure DC would like to move the club away from its current hillsborough home lock stock and barrel, but with the ever spiraling debt and creditors its looking like an ambition thats way above his means

Edited by staninoodle

Only just seen this. The triangle formed by Herries Road, HR South and Penistone Road should be the (raised) site for a new stadium. The training ground, car park and commercial developments (raised), along with any evicted companies from above,  should  be where the present stadium is. Loads of room for parking and elevated industrial and commercial 'opportunities'.

It just needs a good wedge of money throwing at it.

As he's not involved in the canned fish business and is allegedly 'in property', he could have it cracked in a year or so.

I await 'feedback'.

5 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Only just seen this. The triangle formed by Herries Road, HR South and Penistone Road should be the (raised) site for a new stadium. The training ground, car park and commercial developments (raised), along with any evicted companies from above,  should  be where the present stadium is. Loads of room for parking and elevated industrial and commercial 'opportunities'.

It just needs a good wedge of money throwing at it.

As he's not involved in the canned fish business and is allegedly 'in property', he could have it cracked in a year or so.

I await 'feedback'.

That site is the wrong shape. The footprint of the present stadium won’t fit on it.

• Like 1