Things I Did As A Kid That Would Be Frowned On Now.

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Imagine that now a days? 

Helicopter would have been up since mid day, and social workers would be giving yer mum the third degree when you got back home.

Agree nothing better than an early morning start, walk or cycle through all the parks n woods, up to Burbage edge, play on the rocks (mum would have gone crazy if she'd seen the rocks we climbed without ropes) and back home to the "where have you been - dinner'll need warming up'". 

Happy Daze 8) .

Same here . Up at crack of dawn . First bus t town (4.45 ?) . Bus up to Lodge Moor (miles away) Spend all day doing lad’s things. Back home at teatime . All at 10 years old . They are not allowed past the front gate at that age nowadays 

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Same here . Up at crack of dawn . First bus t town (4.45 ?) . Bus up to Lodge Moor (miles away) Spend all day doing lad’s things. Back home at teatime . All at 10 years old . They are not allowed past the front gate at that age nowadays 

When I was 10 years old I was a Babe Magnet...

My first steps to becoming a Playboy.

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

When I was 10 years old I was a Babe Magnet... Even the 'crack of Dawn wasn't safe 🤣 

My first steps to becoming a Playboy.

There you go Padders (My Bold 🤣 🤣)

14 hours ago, bassett one said:

we played that now banned game conkers,dont say i recall any deaths though,a few rapped knuckles though

It's not banned. Even the Health and Safety Executive says:

Realistically the risk from playing conkers is incredibly low and just not worth bothering about. If kids deliberately hit each other over the head with conkers, that's a discipline issue, not health and safety.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Hello Hackey.

Thanks for reminding me.

We'd catch a bus to the Cross Scythes at Totley, make our way to the side of the rifle range.

Up over the top to Padley gorge (Grindleford Station) and follow the river up to Burbage edge, Ringinglow,  Ecclesall, Psalter Lane, Sharrow and back home.

More often than not we'd cycle up to Ringinglow and Burbage edge. 

The return journey (all down hill) could get a bit exciting especially as we used to turn down Hangram Lane, onto Woodcliffe's excellent sweeping bends before joining the woods into Forge Dam, Wire mill, Whiteley Woods, Endcliffe Park (avoiding Parkies) and back home.

Happy Daze 8) -  only got better when we found the delights of Motorcycling :bigsmile: .

18 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

That's because kids hardly play out nowadays- glued to their phones.

We'd go on bikes ( chopper, tomahawk, grifter) go parks, throw those 'snaps' at people, play knockdown ginger and go to the arcade- really loved arcades!

Yes used to spend hours cycling through the forest. Or we'd go and play football in the park or on the flats.

I made every explosive we knew of, bar nuclear. Back in the early 80s a schoolkid could walk into a laboratory suppliers and buy saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal (on separate occasions), and make their own gunpowder. I nitrated glycerine, made the fertiliser bomb stuff the IRA used and icing sugar and weedkiller concoctions.

I packed the results in pipes, rockets, even set some in concrete with an electronic fuse. The closest call was a cast iron pipe rocket that sped off across the back gardens and went through a neighbours greenhouse.

These days I’d have gone to borstal, back then my parents just rolled their eyes. I’ve never repeated any of this malarkey since the mid 80s I must add.

Guest sibon
12 minutes ago, Norbert said:

I made every explosive we knew of, bar nuclear. Back in the early 80s a schoolkid could walk into a laboratory suppliers and buy saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal (on separate occasions), and make their own gunpowder. I nitrated glycerine, made the fertiliser bomb stuff the IRA used and icing sugar and weedkiller concoctions.

I packed the results in pipes, rockets, even set some in concrete with an electronic fuse. The closest call was a cast iron pipe rocket that sped off across the back gardens and went through a neighbours greenhouse.

These days I’d have gone to borstal, back then my parents just rolled their eyes. I’ve never repeated any of this malarkey since the mid 80s I must add.

Not so long ago, I tried to buy 5kg of Citric Acid for some school science practicals. Absolutely impossible. Even from my regular suppliers. It is a precursor to HMTD and therefore rather tightly controlled

16 minutes ago, sibon said:

Not so long ago, I tried to buy 5kg of Citric Acid for some school science practicals. Absolutely impossible. Even from my regular suppliers. It is a precursor to HMTD and therefore rather tightly controlled

I bought some from Brewmart on Abbey Lane recently to make my own Andrews Liver Salts, he keeps it behind the counter for the reasons above and its drug related uses.