Things I Did As A Kid That Would Be Frowned On Now.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

Not so long ago, I tried to buy 5kg of Citric Acid for some school science practicals. Absolutely impossible. Even from my regular suppliers. It is a precursor to HMTD and therefore rather tightly controlled

You can get citric acid from down the moor market 

Dri-pak Clean & natural Citric acid, 250g | DIY at B&Q

Marvellous for cleaning the bathroom!

Guest sibon
13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You can get citric acid from down the moor market 

Dri-pak Clean & natural Citric acid, 250g | DIY at B&Q

Marvellous for cleaning the bathroom!

That's interesting. You can also buy it in large amounts from Amazon.

I'd never had a problem buying it previously. But when I wanted some for a Forensic Science day I was running, I was turned down by every single supplier.

18 minutes ago, sibon said:

That's interesting. You can also buy it in large amounts from Amazon.

I'd never had a problem buying it previously. But when I wanted some for a Forensic Science day I was running, I was turned down by every single supplier.

The last time I bought some from the Moor Market, it was about 6 months ago....Perhaps there has been a change. If the household goods stall in the market don't have any, then Wilko sell it as well.

2 hours ago, Norbert said:

I made every explosive we knew of, bar nuclear. Back in the early 80s a schoolkid could walk into a laboratory suppliers and buy saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal (on separate occasions), and make their own gunpowder. I nitrated glycerine, made the fertiliser bomb stuff the IRA used and icing sugar and weedkiller concoctions.

I packed the results in pipes, rockets, even set some in concrete with an electronic fuse. The closest call was a cast iron pipe rocket that sped off across the back gardens and went through a neighbours greenhouse.

These days I’d have gone to borstal, back then my parents just rolled their eyes. I’ve never repeated any of this malarkey since the mid 80s I must add.

Happily stuck my fingers in liquid mercury.

Sniffed bromine.

Nicked sodium to put in (dried) toilets 

Sat morn, sheaf valley baths then classic pictures in fitzalan sq for Sat matanee then silverblades then finish off at chippy at bottom of howard street on way to get whistle bus in pond street costing about a couple of quid if that, me and mi pals loved saturdays, our schedule changed slighty when United played  at home,  it would have changed more if old enough to have gone to away matches anall. :hihi:

3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Sat morn, sheaf valley baths then classic pictures in fitzalan sq for Sat matanee then silverblades then finish off at chippy at bottom of howard street on way to get whistle bus in pond street costing about a couple of quid if that, me and mi pals loved saturdays, our schedule changed slighty when United played  at home,  it would have changed more if old enough to have gone to away matches anall. :hihi:

We used to go to Top Rank on Tuesday nights.

17 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

We used to go to Top Rank on Tuesday nights.

Yes did the Top Rank also, 70s were great times, , baths, skates, buying Ben Shermans, Fred Perrys, Levi stay press  job lot,  to do all that I had a morning and evening paper round  plus mi mam and dad would give us abit of spendo because they were both working.  :hihi:

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Yes did the Top Rank also, 70s were great times, , baths, skates, buying Ben Shermans, Fred Perrys, Levi stay press  job lot,  to do all that I had a morning and evening paper round  plus mi mam and dad would give us abit of spendo because they were both working.  :hihi:

Two tone Levi stay press I still remember them... 😁

7 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Top Rank?  Stay Press? Ben Sherman? Saturday Matinee at the Classic?  :suspect:.

Wranglers, Leather Jacket, steel caps :bigsmile:.

The Classic, loved the place.  All night western's, Horror and Biker movie nights, I can still taste the free soup n sarnies that were included in the admission price (always cheese and Onion and always Onion Soap Soup 🥴 :gag: .

Happy Daze 8) .