Japanese Cars

Mid to late 60's, my dad was in the motor trade, around 1972 he took in a Toyota Corolla as a part ex, going from memory it was a 1968 with over 200,000 miles on the clock, the body was rough but we marvelled at how mechanically perfect it still was. 

Having had a look at the old newspaper archives it seems Toyota first exhibited and offered concessionary deals at the 1965 Earls Court Motor Show. Datsuns were being offered for sale quite widely by 1968.

Edited by sadbrewer

On 02/03/2022 at 15:31, Rockers rule said:

Cookies had places everywhere and moved into selling motorcycle (usually custom painted) as well.

Rebels don't ride Japanese, but I did have a Honda of him :blush:.

Oy Rockers, nowt wrong with jap bikes! All of your cheap A10’s, Tigers and Bonnies were long gone in the 80’s when us nippers started riding. Me and my mates all had chopped about jap and we were definitely rebels. We were just glad to be on the road at all cause we were usually skint 😂

12 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Oy Rockers, nowt wrong with jap bikes! All of your cheap A10’s, Tigers and Bonnies were long gone in the 80’s when us nippers started riding. Me and my mates all had chopped about jap and we were definitely rebels. We were just glad to be on the road at all cause we were usually skint 😂

I know Jim - but it took me a long time to concede.

Our kid went the Japanese route Fissie, RD250 (never passed his test - but didn't stop him riding bigger stuff :suspect: .

That RD embarrassed my A10 (at times) but I persisted with the Brit stuff until borrowing a Suzuki GS 850 , had to have one after that.

Suzuki waited a while before they stopped building two strokers, but when they did they sure got it right with the big Gs's.

Technology rulz, but even now it feels strange changing gear on't wrong side :blush: .

Cheap? paid £70 for my first A10  about 4  weeks wages 🧐 .

Keep safe out there 8) .

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I know Jim - but it took me a long time to concede.

Our kid went the Japanese route Fissie, RD250 (never passed his test - but didn't stop him riding bigger stuff :suspect: .

That RD embarrassed my A10 (at times) but I persisted with the Brit stuff until borrowing a Suzuki GS 850 , had to have one after that.

Suzuki waited a while before they stopped building two strokers, but when they did they sure got it right with the big Gs's.

Technology rulz, but even now it feels strange changing gear on't wrong side :blush: .

Cheap? paid £70 for my first A10  about 4  weeks wages 🧐 .

Keep safe out there 8) .

You’re right about the GS range pal they were solid engines. So were the Yam XS 650’s, I had a couple of those and they were bomb proof, proper camshaft bearings as well unlike a lot of jap bikes.😡 As for the two strokes, my mate had a RD350LC which he let me have a go on. After terrifying myself popping wheelies at every gear change I took it back and nonchalantly told him it wasn’t bad 😂 All that stuff is worth a fortune now, even the fissies. Happy Daze indeed 👍

37 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

You’re right about the GS range pal they were solid engines. So were the Yam XS 650’s, I had a couple of those and they were bomb proof, proper camshaft bearings as well unlike a lot of jap bikes.😡 As for the two strokes, my mate had a RD350LC which he let me have a go on. After terrifying myself popping wheelies at every gear change I took it back and nonchalantly told him it wasn’t bad 😂 All that stuff is worth a fortune now, even the fissies. Happy Daze indeed 👍

🤣 I did the same :blush:, lads have always brought bikes home with them " here dad, take this CR500 down't field".

What field - the place was just a blur 😲.

Weekends use of a Yamaha Tenere wasn't a bad Fathers day present one year 8) .

Anyway back on subject. 

The Japs did the same with cars as they did with motorcycles - introduced Technology.

Ok there were some lemons out there but compared to what BL (and others) were turning out the Japs offerings sure looked good.

The rest is history. 

On 06/03/2022 at 16:25, Jim117 said:

All of what you guys say is true. I haven't owned  a bike since around '65 but I sure as hell would  still like as shot on a DBD 34  "Goldstar"

17 hours ago, beezerboy said:

All of what you guys say is true. I haven't owned  a bike since around '65 but I sure as hell would  still like as shot on a DBD 34  "Goldstar"

You'd need Lottery to come up beezer. 

DBD's at least £15,000.

Happy Daze C15 for £15.

A10's £50 - £100.

Currently on Ebay at just under £8,000.

Never been into that 'cafe' racer' thing,

but don't this TriBsa look the business 8) .

Image 1 - TRIBSA 650, 1970, TRIUMPH 110 ENGINE, A TRIBSA WITH WOW FACTOR, SUPERB

The jap cars also had a reputation for reliability although they didn’t seem to rust any less quickly. I quite liked the styling of some of them, like little american cars. I do miss the styling of old cars generally, it’s amazing how something once common like a Cortina really stands out now. I guess if you style something for aerodynamics in a wind tunnel you’re always gonna end up with pretty much the same shape. Price of progress I suppose.