Lidl To Open High Street Shop.

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

I know, it was supposed to be a link just to show that Sports Direct is in fact part of 50 High Street. 

Not sure where it went wrong but it wouldn’t let me edit it. Sorry.

No problem - it didn't 'go wrong' - it's just me being pedantic.😀👍

I think that's quite shrewd to be honest, with more people living in the city centre you need more supermarkets (not just little 'local' versions of chain supermarkets) to support them. Sainsburys on the Moor is always busy.

6 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I think that's quite shrewd to be honest, with more people living in the city centre you need more supermarkets (not just little 'local' versions of chain supermarkets) to support them. Sainsburys on the Moor is always busy.

Be great for all the smackrats and spiceheads. Another food shop to lift from...

I'm not sure this is a good idea as access for the large HGVs at this point is going to be a nightmare. I know that M&S have large vehicles backing in to their loading bay, but at M&S the access is easier.

2 hours ago, Hopman said:

I'm not sure this is a good idea as access for the large HGVs at this point is going to be a nightmare. I know that M&S have large vehicles backing in to their loading bay, but at M&S the access is easier.

Sports Direct manages to get its deliveries, as does Poundland, as did House of Fraser and TJ Hughes for many years before that.

I personally don't feel it would be an issue and certainly not a reason to debar them from moving in.   

As others have said, it will probably do very well down there given the areas around are changing with much more residential and leisure. It was never ever going to be occupied by another department store and it is obvious that the shift in the 'core retail' is now at the other end of town down the Moor. 

Better Lidl than an empty decaying unit for decades.

28 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Sports Direct manages to get its deliveries, as does Poundland, as did House of Fraser and TJ Hughes for many years before that.

I personally don't feel it would be an issue and certainly not a reason to debar them from moving in.   

As others have said, it will probably do very well down there given the areas around are changing with much more residential and leisure. It was never ever going to be occupied by another department store and it is obvious that the shift in the 'core retail' is now at the other end of town down the Moor. 

Better Lidl than an empty decaying unit for decades.

Indeed, the one in Manchester city centre does well and so should the Sheffield City store. Bakery section should be a pull alone.

My Mum likes Lidl, the nearest one to her is the one at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road which is too far for her to get to as she doesn't drive and there's no direct bus, however she will be able to get a bus directly into the city centre and back home and she's already said that the Lidl in town will be good for her.