Unusual Complaint.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I've got an unusual complaint, I think it's psychological..

The description of my complaint may take a while, so unless your really really interested I suggest you turn your attention to another thread....

What's happening, well some weeks ago while watching the TV, some programmes (especially films) I was finding it difficult to decipher or hear what the characters were saying...

Even with the sound on full blast, all I could hear was mumbling, I'm OK with the news and Corrie and most other programmes...

A lot of the Freeview channels are terrible.

So I found a simple solution, use the subtitles, which I have done and find them very helpful...

Right, if there's anyone still reading this post, I'll carry on..

Now I dream a lot, every night in fact, the most weird and wonderful dreams, sometimes very Erm! how shall I put it, I know Exotic..never a nightmare...

Sometimes I'm captain of a cruise liner, commander of an Army, Judging a Miss World competition, or playing center forward for the English football team, sometimes I get up for a tiddle in the middle of a dream, then back in bed and carry on where I left off..EG. one night I was preparing to take a penalty for England, when I needed the loo, I got back in bed and took the penalty, missed, but the goalkeeper did make a great save..

This is when the problem started, I was distraught at missing the penalty, and I wonder if it's affected my sleeping pattern.

2 nights ago I was directing Anneka Rice around Cornwall on Treasure Hunt, every time I gave her instructions she'd answer back, but I couldn't hear her, Subtitles flashed up instead..I found this very frustrating.

Take last night, I was Captain of the Starship Enterprise, and we were under attack from the Klingons, every time I gave an order to Spock, I'm having to wait for his reply to come up in the form of Subtitles.

I have to make split second decision's if I'm to save the Earth from destruction....

Is there a way to switch these subtitles off, and start hearing people again, my dreams are beginning to turn into nightmares.

Hmmm... :huh:

You are correct in thinking that this problem is indeed psychological, Mr Padders.

It is most commonly experienced by people who spend far too much time on social media...
... especially on local internet forums. :(

Hours and hours of reading badly written text full of grammatical errors can overwork the tiny neurons in our celebral cortex (or grey matter), and before we know it, our mental capabilities become impaired.

It is a well known fact that neurons like to be stimulated by entertaining events.

Being fed for prolonged periods of time on a diet of tedium is not good for them.

The poor little guys who are in charge of keeping our subconscious thoughts in check become tired and confused, and we begin to imagine all sorts of odd things happening as our overworked neurons begin to have difficulties in processing the information they are receiving.

They continue to perform, but at a much reduced efficiency, until finally they revert back to their default mode of communicating by text messages only.

This manifests itself by the need to use subtitles.

But you will be pleased to hear (I said 'You Will Be Pleased To Hear') that this condition can be easily resolved by giving your overworked neurons a little holiday.

Stay off social media (especially local internet forums) for a few days and give the little fellas a bit of a rest.

If you'd like a second (third, fourth, fifth...) opinion, then I'm sure one of the resident medical practitioners on the Coronavirus thread will be able to help... :)

54 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

Padders - the mumbling thing is a modern day scourge. I find loads of the dialogue on programmes to be inaudible

It's not me & thee my friend - it's the mumbling thespians!!

I absolutely agree with you ! It’s not the viewers hearing, but the mumbling is a modern day scourge !Also lots of ordinary people , not entertainers, who are interviewed on the street, after being asked a question , mumble their reply. If I’m watching tv with someone else, I say to them “ What did they say ? “ They say that they don’t know either ! What has happened to the English language ?

57 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

You are correct in thinking that this problem is indeed psychological, Mr Padders.

It is most commonly experienced by people who spend far too much time on social media...
... especially on local internet forums. :(

Hours and hours of reading badly written text full of grammatical errors can overwork the tiny neurons in our celebral cortex (or grey matter), and before we know it, our mental capabilities become impaired.

It is a well known fact that neurons like to be stimulated by entertaining events.

Being fed for prolonged periods of time on a diet of tedium is not good for them.

The poor little guys who are in charge of keeping our subconscious thoughts in check become tired and confused, and we begin to imagine all sorts of odd things happening as our overworked neurons begin to have difficulties in processing the information they are receiving.

They continue to perform, but at a much reduced efficiency, until finally they revert back to their default mode of communicating by text messages only.

This manifests itself by the need to use subtitles.

But you will be pleased to hear (I said 'You Will Be Pleased To Hear') that this condition can be easily resolved by giving your overworked neurons a little holiday.

Stay off social media (especially local internet forums) for a few days and give the little fellas a bit of a rest.

If you'd like a second (third, fourth, fifth...) opinion, then I'm sure one of the resident medical practitioners on the Coronavirus thread will be able to help... :)

Thanks a lot Mr. Bloke,

Having read the replies with much anticipated interest, I find your the only one with a proper understanding of the problem.

It's nowt to do with my sooper, dooper, 50inch executive model Hitachi TV.

I don't want hearing aids as Anna as suggested..

It's a problem with my sub-conscious.

Thanks for taking the trouble to give a most informative reply, I shall take everything on board to try and make my dreams Sub-Title free.

23 minutes ago, Padders said:

Thanks a lot Mr. Bloke,

Having read the replies with much anticipated interest, I find your the only one with a proper understanding of the problem.

It's nowt to do with my sooper, dooper, 50inch executive model Hitachi TV.

I don't want hearing aids as Anna as suggested..

It's a problem with my sub-conscious.

Thanks for taking the trouble to give a most informative reply, I shall take everything on board to try and make my dreams Sub-Title free.

I'm havin a similar problem, but its my reading ability that's troubling me Mr (50inch) Sooper Drooper 😲.

As for not wanting hearing aids you do right to avoid them like the plague Padders.

Our kid used to be quite sensible (used to drone on a bit - but hey-ho) he'd talk cars and motorcycles all day.

But, since havin' hearing aids fitted he's worse than any bloody vegan.

"Marvellous, I can hear that sparrow flap its wings and the lady bird landing on that leaf" (cant hear me on't t'other end of the phone like, too much background noise going on :huh:).

Hearing aids and how good they are, are now his favorite only subject and that  I should have some as well because, I always seem to have a problem hearing him  :roll: I can't get a bloody word in.

My dreams are always car or bike related. 

The reoccurring dream of me driving a double-decker (from the upper deck) is always impressive, so is the way the thing sways around corners 🤣 🤣.

As for the sound quality on TV don't worry about it - your right - simple as 8).

The dog has eten my hearing aids for the third time , If I put em down the little twaaaatt seems have a sixth sense and finds and eats them .

So I have bought a pair of large muffler type ear phones with a long lead that stretches all way across floor and plugs int back of teli .

Perfect hear every word , Music is sublime until last neet when the little breeder  chowed wire .

13 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

I'm havin a similar problem, but its my reading ability that's troubling me Mr (50inch) Sooper Drooper 😲.

As for not wanting hearing aids you do right to avoid them like the plague Padders.

Our kid used to be quite sensible (used to drone on a bit - but hey-ho) he'd talk cars and motorcycles all day.

But, since havin' hearing aids fitted he's worse than any bloody vegan.

"Marvellous, I can hear that sparrow flap its wings and the lady bird landing on that leaf" (cant hear me on't t'other end of the phone like, too much background noise going on :huh:).

Hearing aids and how good they are, are now his favorite only subject and that  I should have some as well because, I always seem to have a problem hearing him  :roll: I can't get a bloody word in.

My dreams are always car or bike related. 

The reoccurring dream of me driving a double-decker (from the upper deck) is always impressive, so is the way the thing sways around corners 🤣 🤣.

As for the sound quality on TV don't worry about it - your right - simple as 8).

Cheers Rocker,

Always nice to get a reply........

No matter how absurd it is..