Awkward Situations.

6 hours ago, echo beach said:

Fully understand your preference for cardigans over sweaters, Padders, it's an age thing!. They're so much easier to put on.

I've not started talking to dummies yet, although I see plenty spat out, particularly on the soccer section, but in terms of wondering why something electrical doesn't work I think we're both at the same place on the road to dementia because I often plug the item in but don't flick the switch!

echo.

Lost count of the number of times I’ve cursed a power tool or extension lead only to realise I haven’t flipped the switch on the socket. My favourite cardigan is actually a zip up fleece, I don’t like hoodies either. It now has a white stripe up the back because I sat on the doorstep for a fag and a cuppa and leaned back against the doorframe I had painted not ten minutes earlier. Lost half a loaf today, later found in the fridge where I had inexplicably put it rather than the bread bin.👍

13 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Lost count of the number of times I’ve cursed a power tool or extension lead only to realise I haven’t flipped the switch on the socket. My favourite cardigan is actually a zip up fleece, I don’t like hoodies either. It now has a white stripe up the back because I sat on the doorstep for a fag and a cuppa and leaned back against the doorframe I had painted not ten minutes earlier. Lost half a loaf today, later found in the fridge where I had inexplicably put it rather than the bread bin.👍

I'm like a cartoon character, step of a ladder and put my foot straight in the paint tin. 🤡

The problem I think is, I've lived on my own for the past 7yrs, and every little thing becomes a major incident..

It's reassuring to know some other people are the same as me.....

When my kitchen sink got blocked I thought it would be easy to fix it myself. I unscrewed the fitting on the bend to remove the blocked section of pipe having remembered to put a bucket underneath to catch the water. I dislodged the gunk causing the blockage then poured the dirty water down the sink. Result - wet carpet, wet feet and red face. 

12 hours ago, Padders said:

I'm like a cartoon character, step of a ladder and put my foot straight in the paint tin. 🤡

The problem I think is, I've lived on my own for the past 7yrs, and every little thing becomes a major incident..

It's reassuring to know some other people are the same as me.....

Ladders have played a significant role in my life too, Padders.

30 odd years ago whilst building a garage I was climbing to the top of a ladder carrying a breeze block with both hands when the ladder slipped. Down I came, breeze block and all. Ouch! I still have that ladder complete with the legacy of a  rung which my shin bent on landing. My young son who heard me scream came running out and announced that the breeze block wasn't broken! Good, neither was my leg but it was a mess and I have the scars to prove it.

The next day I tied the ladder to the building and finished the job. If I hadn't done that I don't think I'd have gone up a ladder again.

Then in 2019 I did the same trick. Top of a ladder. Slip. Crash, bang, wallop. This time I ended up in casualty with a broken and dislocated shoulder. Took an op the following day to put it right.

I was also re-tiling a roof when the rotten battens I was stood on gave way and my legs went through the roof and through the kitchen ceiling. I was stuck and couldn't get out. My  son and wife had to push these 2 dangling legs upwards to free me.

Must have been like something out of a Laurel and Hardy film!

The confessions of an amateur builder.

echo.

9 hours ago, echo beach said:

30 odd years ago whilst building a garage I was climbing to the top of a ladder carrying a breeze block with both hands when the ladder slipped. Down I came, breeze block and all. Ouch! I still have that ladder complete with the legacy of a  rung which my shin bent on landing. My young son who heard me scream came running out and announced that the breeze block wasn't broken! Good, neither was my leg but it was a mess and I have the scars to prove it.

The next day I tied the ladder to the building and finished the job. If I hadn't done that I don't think I'd have gone up a ladder again.

Then in 2019 I did the same trick. Top of a ladder. Slip. Crash, bang, wallop. This time I ended up in casualty with a broken and dislocated shoulder. Took an op the following day to put it right.

I was also re-tiling a roof when the rotten battens I was stood on gave way and my legs went through the roof and through the kitchen ceiling. I was stuck and couldn't get out. My  son and wife had to push these 2 dangling legs upwards to free me.

echo.

Being an Acrophobia sufferer does have it’s plus points.

10 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

Been there done that Echo...

Many years ago I was painting the guttering, when the ladder slipped....I fell from top to bottom...

In between my house and the neighbour's were concrete steps, with a strip of earth between them..

Luckily I'd dug over the earth previously, so it cushioned my landing..

Had I landed on the concrete steps, and possibly hit my head on them, I might not be here today...

I'll never forget that incident because in the split second of the fall, the things that flashed through my mind was unbelievable..

Shook up but unharmed, very lucky...still got 7 lives left...yes I did use one up in another incident...

Many moons ago when I was a youth I went to the pub with my mates. I walked home with a girl mate who lived near me. As we got to her house she invited me in for a cuppa, I said yes. The house was one of those old terraces where the front door opened directly into the lounge and the staircase was between the lounge and the kitchen. She went off to make a brew while I was chatting with her mum and cousin. After a short while I excused myself to go for a pee. I reached to my side and found the door handle felt softer than usual. Turning fully I saw that my mate had already opened the door and was standing patiently with two cups of tea and her left breast in my hand. I snatched back my hand while stammering apologies and turning beetroot red. My mate, who had previously punched a bloke on the nose for groping her arse nodded and asked me totally deadpan if I would like to feel the other one too. Her mum and cousin were rolling around on the sofa howling laughing and making frankly unhelpful comments. So yeah I blatantly grabbed my mates boob in front of her mum, took a few days of p taking to live that one down. Fair to say I felt a bit of a t-t to be honest.

33 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Many moons ago when I was a youth I went to the pub with my mates. I walked home with a girl mate who lived near me. As we got to her house she invited me in for a cuppa, I said yes. The house was one of those old terraces where the front door opened directly into the lounge and the staircase was between the lounge and the kitchen. She went off to make a brew while I was chatting with her mum and cousin. After a short while I excused myself to go for a pee. I reached to my side and found the door handle felt softer than usual. Turning fully I saw that my mate had already opened the door and was standing patiently with two cups of tea and her left breast in my hand. I snatched back my hand while stammering apologies and turning beetroot red. My mate, who had previously punched a bloke on the nose for groping her arse nodded and asked me totally deadpan if I would like to feel the other one too. Her mum and cousin were rolling around on the sofa howling laughing and making frankly unhelpful comments. So yeah I blatantly grabbed my mates boob in front of her mum, took a few days of p taking to live that one down. Fair to say I felt a bit of a t-t to be honest.

Nice one Jim, I've never been that lucky...

23 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

When my kitchen sink got blocked I thought it would be easy to fix it myself. I unscrewed the fitting on the bend to remove the blocked section of pipe having remembered to put a bucket underneath to catch the water. I dislodged the gunk causing the blockage then poured the dirty water down the sink. Result - wet carpet, wet feet and red face. 

Done exactly the same myself 😃

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Done exactly the same myself 😃

Think all we DIYers have done that, hackney lad. Trouble is we're conditioned to empty liquids down the plug hole!

Only after we've started do we think whoops, no U bend.

echo.