Sheffield Jazz 1960s

What were some of Sheffield's best jazz  band venues in the early 1960s and on ?  Two that I recall are a pub on West Street (Mail coach perhaps?) and the Cannon Hall,(Firvale) but there was surely more. Who were the most popular bands and were there any out of town jazz groups that played in those places ?

1 hour ago, dsweetman said:

I used to go to the jazz club at nether edge hall.I am not sure now which evening of the week or even the names of the bands that used to play.It was a good night out.

Thank you. Another one being the Esquire Club (Leadmill Road) around 1962-63.

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes Jim it did and it was the cellar of a pub in either Shalesmoor or Gibraltar Street.

It was the cellar of the Acorn pub, there's a fully illustrated book about it from ALD publishers, who have an outlet on Sharrovale Rd.

18 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes Jim it did and it was the cellar of a pub in either Shalesmoor or Gibraltar Street.

Shalesmoor, a few doors down from the Ship Inn. As has been said it was in the cellar of the Acorn pub. The building was still there until a few years ago and used as a printers. It was where the vacant lot is next door to the building that looks like a stack of containers.

post-188-066852000%201278241838.jpg

• 3 weeks later...