P And O Ferries Laying Off Workers

55 minutes ago, Findlay said:

Some family members were onboard the Herald of Free Enterprise when it capsized.

I'm not sure I would be confident as a passenger with inexperienced crews taking over the running of ferries as it is a very dangerous environment to work in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39177104

Oh yes the Herald of Free Enterprise operated by that proper British company and stuffed with lots of proper British staff. That worked out well. 

For goodness sake, just because the new workforce is filled with lots of those funny foreigners does not mean that the mandatory licensing, inspections and safety checks will suddenly disappear.  How do you think most cruise lines operate- they are filled with staff from around the globe but you don't see their ships falling over and sinking every 5-minutes.

This is business. Simply taking advantage of lower price workforce just like every other company does and just like us consumers are more than happy to exploit when it suits us.

I bet you don't make robust enquiries into where your cabin crew or pilot is domiciled or licenced every time you step on a budget flight.

Nonsense argument.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh yes the Herald of Free Enterprise operated by that proper British company and stuffed with lots of proper British staff. That worked out well. 

For goodness sake, just because the new workforce is filled with lots of those funny foreigners does not mean that the mandatory licensing, inspections and safety checks will suddenly disappear.  How do you think most cruise lines operate- they are filled with staff from around the globe but you don't see their ships falling over and sinking every 5-minutes.

This is business. Simply taking advantage of lower price workforce just like every other company does and just like us consumers are more than happy to exploit when it suits us.

I look forward to Darren Hebblethwaite being summarily sacked by zoom call by someone with a sly sneer on his face.

And if there is any justice, it'll be down at the DWP

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I look forward to Darren Hebblethwaite being summarily sacked by zoom call by someone with a sly sneer on his face.

And if there is any justice, it'll be down at the DWP

That says a lot more about you than him.

As for the whole zoom call stuff, another load of emotive OTT nonsense. What do we expect to happen in 2022. I've done entire court hearings determining a major part of someone's life over a video call.  The world of business has moved on and zoom calls are routine.

Just how do you seriously think 800 staff we're going to be immediately notified of the situation without such facility. The company have already made it very clear in their statement that where staff were physically present they were told in person. However it would be naive to think that they could go around every single 800 persons simultaneously to break the news. How would it have looked if some of those affected employees found out 2-3 days later than others.

The unions and all the Talking Heads will still be bitching about it no matter what they did.

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

That says a lot more about you than him.

As for the whole zoom call stuff, another load of emotive OTT nonsense. What do we expect to happen in 2022. I've done entire court hearings determining a major part of someone life over a video call.  The world of business has moved on and zoom calls are routine.

Just how do you seriously think 800 staff we're going to be immediately notified of the situation without such facility. The company have already made it very clear in their statement that where staff were physically present they were told in person. However it would be naive to think that they could go around every single 800 people simultaneously to break the news. How would it have looked if some of those affected employees found out 2-3 days later. The unions and all the Talking Heads will still be bitching about it no matter what they did.

And your support for the methods of P&O don't reflect well on you either.

With regards staff being notified about their sackings, I think Hebblethwaite answered that question at the select committee hearing today, even more remarkably, he said that he would 'do it all again', even though he admitted that his company's actions broke the law.

He obviously thinks he's untouchable. 

Just now, Anna B said:

Peter Hebblethwaite (salary £360,000) hauled before parliamentary select committee, and found to have broken British Law. He says he's sorry, but no doubt keeps his job. The replacement crews now being paid £5.50 an hour.

Of course he will keep his job . Hes done what hes paid to do