Severn Trent And Meter Readings

I have had a water meter over 7 years and until last September never had to give them a reading, Last September they emailed me asking for a meter reading and today I received another email asking for another meter reading. What is the point of having meters that send them the readings and then asking people to submit a reading to them. 

There is this thing called Covid happening, you may have seen it in the news the last few years.

Probably means they dont have the usual staffing levels to go round reading them, water meters still need reading (they stand in the vicinity of the meter and take the reading via radio waves, nothing is "sent" to a head office or whatever).

Southern Water website as an example explains how they work, different company but the exact same process - https://www.southernwater.co.uk/account/water-meters/how-to-find-your-water-meter#:~:text=AMR meters&text=These new meters mean we,to read your own meter.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I wouldn't have a clue where my meter is!

I can't speak for your water company but Yorkshire water told me, they do one estimated and then one manual reading. As I pay quarterly, that's 2 estimated and 2 manual per year.

My last one was 4 times the normal usage! Nothing changed with how I live/use water. I'm getting things checked on my end, with regards to any leaks etc. I think it's an error on their part but they won't admit it or do anything until I've had everything checked.

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

they stand in the vicinity of the meter and take the reading via radio waves, nothing is "sent" to a head office or whatever.

This could be the reason mine was wrong. I don't know if they check the reading against the meter number/address.

Apologies for hijacking your thread.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

You would assume each signal would tell then the address, would be chaos if it didnt.

You'd think so. But it was a BIG bill and I wasn't too happy about it. I'll have to wait and see what happens with the checks and the next bill.

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

There is this thing called Covid happening, you may have seen it in the news the last few years.

Probably means they dont have the usual staffing levels to go round reading them, water meters still need reading (they stand in the vicinity of the meter and take the reading via radio waves, nothing is "sent" to a head office or whatever).

Southern Water website as an example explains how they work, different company but the exact same process - https://www.southernwater.co.uk/account/water-meters/how-to-find-your-water-meter#:~:text=AMR meters&text=These new meters mean we,to read your own meter.

What has Covid to do with it they drive around and it picks the signal up. Last year when I asked in September I also said it was over a month earlier than usual and she said oh you might get another bill in a months time, so I assume that was when they were driving around. getting the readings🙄.