What Was This Factory On Attercliffe Road Next To Norfolk Bridge?

17 hours ago, lazarus said:

Was it Carters manufacturing chemists or were they further up , I seem to remember a firm, it could even be the same building, that was part of the Rex Fire Extinguishers company.

Carter's works was on the corner of Attercliffe Road and Windsor Street, perhaps more nearer to Salmon Pastures than Norfolk Bridge.

The building on the left just past Norfolk Bridge traffic lights, (coming away from town) was, as already been said,  Rex Fire Extinguisher company  which I think was taken over/amalgamated with Chubb security. Carter's (of liver pills fame and other things) was further on on the left passed the Brown Firth Research Laboratory and just before Washford Bridge over the river Don.

7 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Meltman.

My Kelly's directory state Dunford's had listed 4 business' at number 173 Attercliffe Rd in 1972.

Was the Rex extinguisher company there before or after Dunford's ?

I can only remember the pubs in the area :bigsmile: .

I think after Dunfords , thinking about it maybe Dunfords was the place I went too for the clean rags 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

I think after Dunfords , thinking about it maybe Dunfords was the place I went too for the clean rags 

I'm not doubting Rex wasn't there at some point, I just can't find any mention of them on't internet.

Am I the only one who thinks internet searching isn't as good as it used to be?

If you want the history of some place all you get is reviews of some local restaurant :suspect: .

Hi Rocker, I'm struggling to rem,it's been a long time since I worked round Norfolk Bridge. Dunfords seems to ring a bell. I've looked on Google maps and the Auto Dynamics place might have been the cleaning supplies place. It could be that Rex followed Dunfords and Chubb followed Rex. I'll try and do more investigation. 

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Meltman.

My Kelly's directory state Dunford's had listed 4 business' at number 173 Attercliffe Rd in 1972.

Was the Rex extinguisher company there before or after Dunford's ?

I can only remember the pubs in the area :bigsmile: .

I know one of those buildings opposite the Norfolk arms used to sell safety boots because I got mine from there.