What Was This Factory On Attercliffe Road Next To Norfolk Bridge?

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

I know one of those buildings opposite the Norfolk arms used to sell safety boots because I got mine from there.

The building itself is something that looks quite 'modern' for the area and must have stood out when it was first built.

Found a picture of a rather sorry looking Norfolk arms. 

See the source image

Does the sign say 'Chub'?

Hard to tell but would explain you buying safety boots from there.

Thought I might have found footage of the building in this clip on u tube but, would you believe it, it cuts back to an interior shot of the tram

at the moment the building would have come into view 🤣.

Anyway enjoy the clip below of a time when Attercliffe was a bustling shopping centre 8) .

Tram Ride Through Attercliffe 1960 - YouTube

22 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

1972 Kelly's.

173 Attercliffe Rd, Dunford & Co Rubber mfrs.

173        "                 "     Dunford Group Safety Equipment mfrs.

173        "                  "    Dunford Fire Protection Services.

173        "                  "    Dunford Safety Services.

Definitely Chub in later years. 

And nothing to do with 173 although for some reason on a search the pub (the twelve o'clock Inn) below is listed as being No173.

It is in fact No1 Attercliffe Rd  (Savile St to the left Attercliffe Rd to the right).

The similarity's to the old 'City Sauna' building is striking. 

See the source image

Keep safe 8) .

City Sauna was originally the Norfolk Arms pub built around 1830s the Twelve 'O Clock could have built around the same time hence the same sort of design.

1 minute ago, GabrielC said:

City Sauna was originally the Norfolk Arms pub built around 1830s the Twelve 'O Clock could have built around the same time hence the same sort of design.

Both being on awkward pieces of land, where the Junctions of roads 'split off', might have helped as well 🤣.

Hi Gabriel C et al, 

Back in the late fifties, I worked for John Taylor Dunford as a receptionist.  I believe it was a  Mr. Brown who  was head honcho and Mr. Freeborn was office manager.

In the couple of years I worked there, the fire extinguisher side of the company became Dunford Fire Protection Services which was in the same building and shared the same office space but  was divided by glass partitions.  The retired Sheffield Fire Chief became it's head honcho and I became his secretary.

The offices were upstairs and the warehouse etc was downstairs.  I remember one time, a large diesel operated fire pump being assembled for shipment to an area..?? without a municipal  running water supply.

Rex Fire Extinguisher Co. does not ring any bells with me either,  however, they are on the internet and today they call themselves Rex Group Services and are located on Mowbray Street.

A brief, timeline  history of John Taylor Dunford can be found on Grace's Guide to British Industrial History.

Cheers