Is Sheffield Town Center Getting Worse Or Better ?

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Well I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... And I can't say that the smell of stale urine that lingered around the hole in the road was aesthetically pleasing either.

But at least the trams are functional, unlike the moving staircases up and down the hole in the road which never worked!

The staircases did work and Hole in road was a great place at one time . Just let down by the council not looking after it 

I agree that somethings about Sheffield have got much worse, but somethings have gotten better. 

It's silly looking back with rose coloured spectacles, or condemning everything post 2000 as rubbish.

34 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The staircases did work and Hole in road was a great place at one time . Just let down by the council not looking after it 

I don't remember anything great about it, still memories are personal I suppose.

36 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

And the people abusing it. People really need to learn some self-respect and appreciate what they've got.

I'm so tired of nice things being vandalised., and efforts being trashed.  I've heard people say there's no point in improving things because these people would just wreck them.

How do we break this cycle?

Edited by Anna B

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I agree that somethings about Sheffield have got much worse, but somethings have gotten better. 

It's silly looking back with rose coloured spectacles, or condemning everything post 2000 as rubbish.

I don't remember anything great about it, still memories are personal I suppose.

Admittedly it did go downhill , probably in the  80s but before that it was great 

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And the people abusing it. People really need to learn some self-respect and appreciate what they've got.

I'm so tired of nice things being vandalised., and efforts being trashed.  I've heard people say there's no point in improving things because these people would just wreck them.

Hmmm... :huh:

Well, I'm not sure the best way to start is by asking people how to break the cycle! ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'd like to see the people responsible being made to clean up their mess, that'd be a start!

I would've thought that there's enough CCTV to catch at least some people responsible.

Unfortunately, until those doing it are held responsible, nothing is going to change.

Edited by Mister M

12 hours ago, Mister M said:

I'd like to see the people responsible being made to clean up their mess, that'd be a start!

I would've thought that there's enough CCTV to catch at least some people responsible.

Unfortunately, until those doing it are held responsible, nothing is going to change.

Having CCTV and a punishment for the crime is all well and good but the city centre is in the dire state is now is down to our spineless police farce. 

I have lost count of the number of times I've watched as officers have sailed by dealers plying trade openly and they do NOTHING. 

The Wicker is constantly blocked with illegally parked cars, which other than the marked bays, is marked as a clearway meaning it becomes a criminal matter. This is happening YARDS away from Sheffield's main police station. 

Edited by Resident

Just now, Resident said:

Having CCTV and a punishment for the crime is all well and good but the city centre is in the dire state is now is our spineless police farce. 

I have lost count of the number of times I've watched as officers have sailed by dealers plying trade openly and they do NOTHING. 

The Wicker is constantly blocked with illegally parked cars, which other than the marked bays, is marked as a clearway meaning it becomes a criminal matter. This is happening YARDS away from Sheffield's main police station. 

...which is now full of admin staff. Sheffields main police station on an operational level is actually on Shepcote Lane.

Do you want all the admin staff to be on constant alert at all hours and arrest everyone in the local area?

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

I think it was better in the 70s and 80s and started going slowly downhill after that.

Would you mind me asking what was better in the 70s/80s than it is now? Genuine question as I wasn’t around then and think the city centre is pretty decent now!

(Loads of places to eat/drink, nice cinemas, nice theatres, art exhibitions, Winter Gardens, peace gardens are lovely, gets good bands coming to Sheffield for gigs, comedy shows are fun, feels safe to walk around on your own even at night, shopping isn’t great but I don’t shop much anyway) Just my view I’m happy living in Sheffield!