Is Sheffield Town Center Getting Worse Or Better ?

44 minutes ago, sedith said:

On my last visit to Sheffield I was impressed by the Balm Green/Barkers Pool area. The Moor seems more upbeat. Fargate/High St however is grim with the druggies unconcious in doorways. What the hell has happened to Chapel Walk????

This pandemic thingy hasnt helped.

I've been accosted for money before I even got out of the train station concourse.

Perhaps when you've had your path blocked or someone in your face, or get chased down the road a few times in the dead of night it might change your perception.

--

Barker's Pool area had a series of stabbings not so long ago, different kettle of fish after dark.

Edited by fools

1 hour ago, SFBeca said:

So if you rarely go into the city centre, and I go into the city centre a few times a week and don't find the issues described above on the same scale? As in wouldn't put me off going into the centre.

Every city centre you are going to find this, it's not a Sheffield specific issue but a societal one, in my view there is a lot less homeless and drunk people out on the streets than in other cities (not comparing to smaller towns of course)

Yes, it would appear all the big cities are going the same way.  A pity, but it's not for me. 

51 minutes ago, fools said:

Perhaps when you've had your path blocked or someone in your face, or get chased down the road a few times in the dead of night it might change your perception.

I lived in the city centre for  4 years, West One flats so very aware of what you are talking about, all I'm saying is it's not just a Sheffield issue, and to me I feel safe enough to walk around as a younger women. 

Also lived in London for 7 years and feel there is a different level of poverty there (obviously as a much bigger city, much more prevalent issues). 

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

...which is now full of admin staff. Sheffields main police station on an operational level is actually on Shepcote Lane.

Do you want all the admin staff to be on constant alert at all hours and arrest everyone in the local area?

If we had a proper police force then I would expect them to notify the Operations centre so that it could be dealt with. 

Instead we have a farce with a racist agenda, one that tells people reporting mass child rape & molestion not to "rock the multicultural boat" as one complainant was told. 

1 hour ago, SFBeca said:

all I'm saying is it's not just a Sheffield issue, and to me I feel safe enough to walk around as a younger women. 

Also lived in London for 7 years and feel there is a different level of poverty there (obviously as a much bigger city, much more prevalent issues). 

You did ask spilldig what's the difference between now and the past, rather than is Sheffield worse than anywhere else.

This is one of the things that puts people off going to the city centre, being able to pop into Sainsbury's without running the begging gauntlet, or seeing people spiced out of their mind in broad daylight. There are others - parking is more difficult and costly compared to the past. Everything was simpler and easier to find in days gone by. I wouldn't even know where to go to get a TV nowadays. We also lose out on the gig front compared to the other cities 35 miles away, many bands/comedians skip Sheffield.

The things I mentioned all happened in a short space of time (there are more aggressive examples), I imagine for many people they would be quite intimidating, especially at night with few people around.

Strangely, London is the only place I've been recently where I didn't see a single person 'on the street'. It also looked rather pleasant.

Edited by fools

2 hours ago, fools said:

You did ask spilldig what's the difference between now and the past, rather than is Sheffield worse than anywhere else.

This is one of the things that puts people off going to the city centre, being able to pop into Sainsbury's without running the begging gauntlet, or seeing people spiced out of their mind in broad daylight. There are others - parking is more difficult and costly compared to the past. Everything was simpler and easier to find in days gone by. I wouldn't even know where to go to get a TV nowadays. We also lose out on the gig front compared to the other cities 35 miles away, many bands/comedians skip Sheffield.

The things I mentioned all happened in a short space of time (there are more aggressive examples), I imagine for many people they would be quite intimidating, especially at night with few people around.

Strangely, London is the only place I've been recently where I didn't see a single person 'on the street'. It also looked rather pleasant.

Seems to be far too much rose tinted nostalgia to me.

Firstly, I frequent Sainsbury's on a regular basis as I work nearby and don't have to face any 'gauntlet' nor am I constantly surrounded by Spice users.   On the rare occasion, god forbid, I do have an encounter with some vagrant I do exactly the same procedure as I do in any other City across the world. I say no thank you and keep moving.  You must have lived a very sheltered life not to have seen the realities of humanity out on public street, spice is just the latest trend.  So what if you happen to see one? as long as they're not bothering you.... let's not get all hysterical as if it's some major crisis where we can't so much as step out of our front doors without tripping over one. Let's also not pretend for one second that drunks, beggars, vagrancy and drug use wasn't prevalent on our streets back in the so-called good old days. Ive been around long enough to remember Peace Gardens version 1 or that Prize winning dank cesspit known as the hole in the road or had to deal with many a creature of the night bus.

If you are wanting a TV in the city centre, Atkinsons has a department selling them, Argos has pages full of them in their catalogue, you could click and collect from John Lewis and pick up at Waitrose or a short journey further I'm sure you will find one of the many Currys stores that sell televisions or pick up a television sold nowadays in any large supermarket.......  it's almost as if somehow the world has moved on and the trend of buying large bulky goods from city centre locations has evolved. It's as if there's some alternative to shopping within a city centre that people are attracted to these days.  I wonder what that could be.....

Of course parking is more difficult and costly than yesteryear because unsurprisingly, there's a global trend to get people out of their cars and on to other modes of transport. That is not just in our city but every city on the planet.  In any event, our parking is still much cheaper compared to many of our so-called rival cities.  

Now, whilst I admit that our Arena is losing out some of the more prestige gigs in favour of the new and shiny Leeds one, let's not forget that we have also had nearly 30 years ahead of Leeds on the arena front. We still also have one of the largest Theatre complexes outside the West End, our own Comedy and documentary festivals each year and several films and television shows still being made and produced in the city boundaries.  The arena, city hall and theatres all have a full schedule and the more populist touring acts still reaches us.

Finally, as for your comments on London, I can tell you as someone has to travel there very regular for work -  you must have been extremely lucky. I don't know where you went but I have seen plenty of Street Homeless in all parts of London including the more exclusive areas of Belgravia and Sloane Street. Of course you would find it "looking rather pleasant" considering it is our Nations capital and gets the vast majority of the money share. Not much different from any other capital city in the world. Hardly a fair comparator with Sheffield is it.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Seems to be far too much rose tinted nostalgia to me.

See thread title, these constant rose tinted accusations and comparisons with other cities are getting a little too repetitive. The discussion is about this city.

Pop down to town now, if there isn't someone sat outside Sainsbury's on division street, or high street, or tesco extra, or mcdonalds, or the pub next to the city hall, or the train station, or 10 places on West St I'd be very surprised. Don't dismiss other people's experiences. I'm quite capable of saying "no", thanks, without your instruction. I'm raising the point that it is not always a passive "Spare some change?". People out of their heads doesn't "bother me", it's rather sad.

venues, you should work in promotion, lots of acts do the notts, manchester, leeds triangle and miss out sheffield. By full schedule, I assume you mean a schedule with massive gaps.

TV - that little aside went over your head didn't it. Atkinsons telly section is tiny. Only a fool buys a tv from a catalogue. Lecture on where to by stuff online not required.

Parking - see thread title again. Lecture not required.

London, it's an aside.

Night.

Night.

Edited by fools

23 minutes ago, fools said:

See thread title, these constant rose tinted accusations and comparisons with other cities are getting a little too repetitive. The discussion is about this city.

Pop down to town now, if there isn't someone sat outside Sainsbury's on division street, or high street, or tesco extra, or mcdonalds, or the pub next to the city hall, or the train station, or 10 places on West St I'd be very surprised. Don't dismiss other people's experiences. I'm quite capable of saying "no", thanks, without your instruction. I'm raising the point that it is not always a passive "Spare some change?". People out of their heads doesn't "bother me", it's rather sad.

venues, you should work in promotion, lots of acts do the notts, manchester, leeds triangle and miss out sheffield.

TV - that little aside went over your head didn't it. Atkinsons telly section is tiny. Only a fool buys a tv from a catalogue. Lecture on where to by stuff online not required.

Parking - see thread title again. Lecture not required.

London, it's an aside.

Night.

Night.

I know full well what the thread title say thank you. It is clear that your opinion is the city is much worse I am countering that.

I am also responding to the points you specifically choose to raise.   You stated about where to buy a TV so don't go all defensive when you get given an answer...    You are the one who who hysterically described the sight of of vagrants sitting in shop doorways as if it's some  treacherous, exhausting, life-threatening gauntlet every single day. I am perfectly entitled to challenge people on it....  you were the one who chose to bring up London so don't get all defensive and try to brush it off when people call you out for making such comparatives.

Yes I think night-night is right. Time for you to go sleep it off.