Preparing For And Surviving Nuclear War

I'm amazed at how many here would want to be dead, if they survived the initial blast relatively intact.

It's one thing to project from the comfort of where we are now; and think that it would be a bit unpleasant. e.g. "I'd rather not have the experience of being alive in a post nuclear war world". It's another thing if you were actually in that situation, and alive, yeah, it would be grim, but would you honestly prefer death if you found yourself in such circumstances?

I don't think most people would, I think the drive to live, to be alive would take over and we'd adapt to the grizzly circumstances and new challenges to stay alive.

I imagine there may be some societal break down though, and a slight rise in shoplifting and other crime. Chess club would certainly be closed. I'd also need to cancel my gym membership I guess. Priorities would be, food, medical supplies, water, guns.

10 hours ago, Waldo said:

I guess it’s something we don’t want to contemplate is a real possibility. Sticking our heads in the sand, wishful thinking, denial of the possibility etc. But what if it does happen? What if the current situation, or a future one, leads to a nuclear war? How prepared are you?

I’m not prepared at all. It’s such an horrific notion, that I think I’m subconsciously choosing not consider the possibility of nuclear war. I’m not sure that’s wise.

Are you prepared for a nuclear war, to survive a nuclear winter? Do you have a bunker, and supplies of food, water, medical, energy, anything else you’d need to survive? Would you even want to survive (given how messed up everything might be)?

Grizzly topic I know, but interested to hear what everyone thinks.

If we have a full scale nuclear war (and against Putin, that's what it would be) the precious few who did survive would soon wish they hadn't.

There would be no uncontaminated water unless you had the stocks to last you a few years.

There would be no gas, no electricity, no sewerage, nothing to eat except any tinned stuff you had available.

The UK temperatures in the nuclear winter would fall to -76 degrees C and it would be impossible to grow anything.

No doctors, dentists or hospitals even if you could go outside, which you can't.

Even the wildlife would be killed off or contaminated.

With people like Putin and the Korean idiot around, we are closer to that possibility than ever before.

Putin's health isn't good and if he thought he would be tried for war crimes, I think he would decide to take us all with him.

We can't afford to have unstable people around.

Edited by Organgrinder

14 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

If we have a full scale nuclear war (and against Putin, that's what it would be) the precious few who did survive would soon wish they hadn't.

There would be no uncontaminated water unless you had the stocks to last you a few years.

There would be no gas, no electricity, no sewerage, nothing to eat except any tinned stuff you had available.

The UK temperatures in the nuclear winter would fall to -76 degrees C and it would be impossible to grow anything.

No doctors, dentists or hospitals even if you could go outside, which you can't.

Even the wildlife would be killed off or contaminated.

It’s a grim picture you paint, -76 sounds a bit nippy!

How long would the low temperature last? Isn’t it caused by some kind of particles (fallout?) being in the atmosphere blocking sunlight?

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It’s a grim picture you paint, -76 sounds a bit nippy!

How long would the low temperature last? Isn’t it caused by some kind of particles (fallout?) being in the atmosphere blocking sunlight?

The average temperatures could drop by up to 30°C.

Thus anything like minus 76 would be experienced in areas that currently get into the minus 40s .... not the UK.

Not that we'd be around to record it!