How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

1 hour ago, fools said:

This is all going to lead to payment by facial recognition and proof of identity by iris/fingerprint and eventually rapid dna scanning.

The downside's to that kind of technology being commonplace in society are enormous. It's already being used in schools, without any critical oversight.

Surprised people are happy to have their face scanned and recorded on those self serve checkouts ... where's your data going. Unless you pay cash, that's your face linked to your id, thanks, where can we sell that data. And we've also linked it to your car registration on your way in, and possibly left it for anyone to get hold of in an insecure amazon bucket on the internet.

Give it 10 years, there will be reports in the news about an obesity epidemic caused by the increase in contactless limits

What a load of crap. 

6 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

If an ATM is down, I simply go to the next one.  Banks also provide cash, and I use banks when I can, ATM's when I can't. Whenever I've seen people (typically in pubs) being told that contactless network is down, they head for the nearest ATM, so I assume that the contactless system is more prone to failure than ATM networks.  As it's newer. that makes sense to me.

Bank branches and ATM's are closing, forcing people to at least consider contactless and Internet banking - simply alienating those of us who want to keep using cash.  Some organisations have gone cashless, and have to accept that they will lose custom as a result.  Some do it deliberately as they don't want older customers (trendy cafe's etc), and that is a way round age-discrimination laws.

What about if someone nicks your wallet. I can cancel my cards in a moment, you try stopping that thief from spending hard cash.

What about if you lose some cash. I can get a replacement bank card pretty swiftly without problem. You try going to the bank and getting them to replace that missing tenner that 'fell out' of your purse onto the ground. You go and see how easy it is to prove you didn't just spend it.

That looks like a couple of examples of cash failures.   It's not infallible.

I agree with others that the second part of your post is nothing more than baseless paranoia. Also pretty insulting to many of the older generation who are more than capable and do use contactless or phone based payments. They are not excluded from trendy coffee shops as you suggest. It's only people like yourself clinging onto the past who are excluding yourself from the businesses.  Your choice.

To many businesses cash is a burden. It is cumbersome, complicated and filled with risks in it's handling. The cost of managing, securing and transporting it can often far outweigh the cost of simply having an off-the-peg card machine and some app based accounting software. That is why many of the smaller more independent businesses are starting to favour cashless operations. Why should they incur additional hassle and expenditure just to appease what is very clearly becoming a minority

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, fools said:

Well that's an intelligent response. Lonely?

Not really. Just calling out blatant paranoia when I see it.

None of what you have suggested is happening or will happen. Remember the uproar when labour tried to bring in ID cards for everyone?

The camera at a checkout is for security only and isnt being uploaded to other people to see what items you scanned and target advertise.

Honestly this is 5g microchip thinking all over again .

2 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Not really. Just calling out blatant paranoia when I see it.

None of what you have suggested is happening or will happen. Remember the uproar when labour tried to bring in ID cards for everyone?

The camera at a checkout is for security only and isnt being uploaded to other people to see what items you scanned and target advertise.

Honestly this is 5g microchip thinking all over again .

You are incredibly naive.

5g thinking, that's a gotcha is it.

Edited by fools

9 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Uh why is this forum full of conspiracy theory nutjobs. 

Bill gates doesn't give a **** if you buy 99p bananas from Asda..

You mean the one's who constantly call people they don't agree with conspiracy theorists? I think they are just lonely lefties looking for companionship.

You don't have a clue, please stick to things you know about. And you can disagree with a counter argument without insulting, try it sometime.

All this 5g bill gates stuff is not a good look.

Edited by fools

8 minutes ago, fools said:

You mean the one's who constantly call people they don't agree with conspiracy theorists? I think they are just lonely lefties looking for companionship.

You don't have a clue, please stick to things you know about. And you can disagree with a counter argument without insulting, try it sometime.

All this 5g bill gates stuff is not a good look.

I did counter it but you chose to ignore it. 

I'll repeat because reading is hard....

If labour couldn't get ID cards through because of public uproar, do you honestly think the general public are going to accept facial recognition and fingerprints to make everyday purchases?

And before you say it facial recognition and fingerprint software is used in supermarkets and smartphones for security purposes, preventing ID fraud, not because Jeff Bezos wants to know how many tins of beans you are buying.

Rest assured, you are not that interesting