How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, since lockdown I've been using cashless too. But I would support legislation that made businesses maintain the choice, by accepting cash and other forms of payment. 

So you would like to make a potentially struggling business struggle even more by forcing them to have the expense of  running a cash operation?

Edited by HeHasRisen

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why?

I've already said.

Also I'm old enough to remember the power cuts of the 1970's when we had to go shopping by candlelight, and none of the tills in shops would work without electricity. Can you imagine how much worse it would be these days?

We're being threatened with power cuts this winter. I hate to think of the chaos they would cause these days.

Edited by Anna B

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I've already said.

I'm old enough to remember the power cuts of the 1970's when we had to go shopping by candlelight, and none of the tills in shops would work without electricity. Can you imagine how much worse it would be these days?

We're being threatened with power cuts this winter. I hate to think of the chaos they would cause these days.

All businesses are prepared for the instance of computer systems crashing. It's nothing new.

Even going back as far as using carbon paper and the imprint of cards and signatures, this is still used as a means of keeping business flowing without being able to process electronic transactions. 

Basic risk management which every retailer will have in place. End of the day, they want your money so will ensure they get it anyway they can...

Which is why we don't move away from cash because people like you still want to use it and retailers want it. 

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I've already said.

I'm old enough to remember the power cuts of the 1970's when we had to go shopping by candlelight, and none of the tills in shops would work without electricity. Can you imagine how much worse it would be these days?

OK - I'll examine your 'explanation' - but probably not until tomorrow morning as I have other things to do tonight.

I'm also old enough to remember them - and the reasons for them.

You mean the 'media', which you continually castigate, are extrapolating worst case scenarios from theoretical studies?

Edited by RollingJ

2 minutes ago, Delayed said:

All businesses are prepared for the instance of computer systems crashing. It's nothing new.

Even going back as far as using carbon paper and the imprint of cards and signatures, this is still used as a means of keeping business flowing without being able to process electronic transactions. 

Airlines can even take card payments 37000ft in the air without a data connection, she is making it sound like one power cut and every shop returns to the Dark Ages 😂😂

Edited by HeHasRisen

17 minutes ago, fools said:

Of course it does.

No internet connection, no electricity, no authorisation, no transaction

You seriously think they don't have contingencies in place for these things? 

There are a growing number of retailers whose entire 'till' consists of nothing more than a mobile phone device and a small card reader.  There are entire retailers whose staff walk around with devices round their neck able to take and process sales directly from the shop floor. There are EPOS transactions being able to be done on board trains, on aircraft, on ships way out at sea.

There are protocols for manual backups to be able to manage offline. 

Should the absolute worst happen and a shop is plunged into darkness for days on end I think their problems are far bigger than simply not being able to take sale transactions.

Just another load of hysteria to try and prove some point against cashless operations.

25 minutes ago, fools said:

Of course it does.

No internet connection, no electricity, no authorisation, no transaction

OK, so how do you think plane cabin crew with no data connection to the outside world and only using battery card machines manage?