How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Remember what happened with the Canadian truckers when they were protesting against vaccine passports ?

(15 February 2022) Trudeau vows to freeze anti-mandate protesters' bank accounts

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said at Monday's news conference that banks would be able freeze personal accounts of anyone linked with the protests without any need for a court order.

Vehicle insurance of anyone involved with the demonstrations can also be suspended, she added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60383385

Two points :

1 - It really is incredible that a so called free democratic country (ironically led by "the Liberal Party"........) could even consider such an action.

2 - We must make sure it can never happen here, and if it does, people can get round it.

Actually happened in the UK during the steel strike in 1980.

Those 'locked out' by BSC management were also unpaid and some of the salaried staff went to their bank for loans backed by their unpaid 'month on lieu' salary slip. After a meeting(on the impact of the strike)between Tory ministers and Bank chiefs, several banks coincidentally sent out threatening foreclosure notices.

Of course over the years UK Governments have restricted how citizens spend their money, most recently Brexit.

13 minutes ago, Padders said:

Tell me what you can buy for 1 or 2p.

I can't think of owt.

you pop em in a jar and save em up then you can buy a loaf o bread...or someat lol

• Haha 1

You wouldn't to to a theatre without having a ticket ready so why go to a shop without having cash in your purse/wallet? At the start of my day, I go to the ATM and withdraw a plethora of cash. Laziness of people, not just GEN Z, it's the older generations too is causing us to sleepwalk in to digital dependency. 😕

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

You wouldn't to to a theatre without having a ticket ready so why go to a shop without having cash in your purse/wallet? At the start of my day, I go to the ATM and withdraw a plethora of cash. Laziness of people, not just GEN Z, it's the older generations too is causing us to sleepwalk in to digital dependency. 😕

Even cash transactions require digital dependency.  Do you think a bank just throws cash into a big vault and writes it all down on big dusty handwritten ledgers. 

How do you think the ATM you use every day conducts its transactions.

Your comparisons were the theatre are misguided, considering most of the venues these days have increasing use of digital ticketing where the ushers just scan a barcode from someone's device.

It's sod all to do with laziness. Cashless transactions have been around since the 18th century. Before the advent of the digital revolution the vast majority of the world's financials was conducted by cheques and bankers drafts and orders.  People were not wandering around which huge sacks of coins.  The first plastic payment card was created in the 1950s. The first EPOS  invented in the '70s.

More talking out of your backside Mrs "28 years old"

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1