How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

If you can get the mobile phone to work on a plane then a data connection is almost guaranteed. I very much doubt they take payments offline as they need to be authorised.

Of course they do. They only appear as a transaction at least an hour after I land. How do you think Easyjet and Ryanair (as two examples) are getting data connections, they dont have wifi and 4/5G wont work over about 5000 feet?

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Yes, that's what I was confused about.

So they'll send the payments via the mobile phone network? 

I hope they get a better connection than I do otherwise it'll take about an hour to process one sale

See above. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Of course they do. They only appear as a transaction at least an hour after I land. How do you think Easyjet and Ryanair (as two examples) are getting data connections, they dont have wifi and 4/5G wont work over about 5000 feet?

See above. 

Cheers fella 👍 

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

On checking some budget airlines like Ryanair that don't have the modern tech do take payments that are not authorised immediately but authorised when near landing, so sorry for that mistake. 

The EU have already authorised the use of 4g aboard aircraft that fly above 3000m/10000 feet so it does work at that height, but that also depends on the airline and how they implement it. They are also using the onboard mobile communication system (MCA) on planes that communicate to the ground via satellite link.

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Whichever tool is used, it is all doing the same thing.  Deducting an amount of value from one set of computerised figures and increasing value of a different set of computerised figures.  It really is as simple as that.

Not all tools can be hacked, like cash for example.

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do we really need to get our knickers in such a twist over the method of how that happens. I suspect most people really don't care.

I really don't get the paranoia and hysteria over this.  Nobody is keeping piles of money under their mattress. We all rely on banks at some form. I really don't care if my bank knows how many times I buy a Costa coffee each week or that Sainsbury's is tracking my groceries which I buy the same of every week anyway.  If someone was that desperate to find out my personal habits, they could do that anyway physically.

So the loss of any anonymity means nothing to you? Supposing you do or say something the Govt disagrees with, all they'd have to do is freeze your money. Now you can't buy groceries and you're 'locked out of society' Following a person from home to work to shops is very costly, but when you're leaving 'digital crumbs' everywhere, it is very low-cost easy way  to track you. It's also easy for shops to adjust their prices so you're always paying the maximum for their products and services.

Edited by 26b-6

4 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Not all tools can be hacked, like cash for example.

So the loss of any anonymity means nothing to you? Supposing you do or say something the Govt disagrees with, all they'd have to do is freeze your money. Now you can't buy groceries and you're 'locked out of society' Following a person from home to work to shops is very costly, but when you're leaving 'digital crumbs' everywhere, it is very low-cost easy way  to track you. It's also easy for shops to adjust their prices so you're always paying the maximum for their products and services.

Cash can be stolen or counterfeited or lost or destroyed.  Its not completely infallible either.

What anonymity?  Cash doesn't give you some perfectly free utopia. It can still be tracked and traced and followed. Sales can still get logged and recorded.  Customer purchases, regularity, frequency and locations can still be analysed. Cash can still be blocked and removed by the authorities.  Retailers can still adjust their prices easily whenever it suits them based on tracked cash sales.   Yes I concede technology makes it slightly easier - but don't be so naive to think that the same scenarios didn't and don't still exist where hard currency was the prevalent payment method. 

• 1 year later...

Well now that the US Securities and Exchange Commission has paved the way to buy & sell shares in Bitcoin, it's clearly now being accepted by the mainstream financial establishments. 

You might not have a digital wallet full of them but your pension funds, etc will be linked to Bitcoin, like it or not. 

Edited by Baron99

On 26/10/2022 at 23:24, Zinger549 said:

I don't see cash disappearing anytime soon. If a shop does go cashless I assume they will have something in place in case the card system goes down.

Indeed.  It was recently reported that cash use is on the way up again,

• 2 months later...