How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

On 25/03/2022 at 10:11, Thirsty Relic said:

The more people are quite happy to wave a piece of plastic at a wand and pass their bank details to shops, all the while congratulating themselves at being contactless, cashless and somehow clever, the sooner the rest of us will be forced to follow them and sign up to being cashless.  I am not contactless, probably an age thing, and take a measure of pleasure when the technology fails and see said modern, clever people unable to pay for goods and services, and have to resort to searching for the few remaining ATM's to get the cash they were happy to be rid of.

I do use contactless, sometimes for convenience and sometimes because there’s no alternative.  I do still use cash regularly too though and agree about those that appear to congratulate themselves on the convenience of it and how clever they think they are.   I always have some cash and it is interesting to the panic when technology fails.  A lot of the anti cash people defend themselves ridiculing paying for an expensive item with wads of cash or queuing up to pay the gas bill in cash etc.  Well I’ve never done that but it’s everyday smaller purchases I tend to pay cash for.  I don’t think some people understand the implications of a cash free society.

I don't quite get this opposition to the 'cashless' society. I find it incredibly useful not to have to have loads of heavy coinage making holes in my pockets, although I admit to carrying a relatively small amount of notes, but they stay in my wallet that long, I'm surprised they haven't disintegrated.

I don't 'congratulate' myself for not carrying it - why should I?

As to 'failing' technology, the only time in recent memory I can remember when it has been a very minor inconvenience was about a month ago when the scanners at my local Sainsbury's threw a wobbly, which meant I had to scan using the terminals - not a big issue, but it did slightly bug me - meant I had to triple-handle my shopping, which meant I was in the shop a little longer than normal.

47 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't quite get this opposition to the 'cashless' society. I find it incredibly useful not to have to have loads of heavy coinage making holes in my pockets, although I admit to carrying a relatively small amount of notes, but they stay in my wallet that long, I'm surprised they haven't disintegrated.

As to 'failing' technology, the only time in recent memory I can remember when it has been a very minor inconvenience was about a month ago when the scanners at my local Sainsbury's threw a wobbly, which meant I had to scan using the terminals - not a big issue, but it did slightly bug me - meant I had to triple-handle my shopping, which meant I was in the shop a little longer than normal.

You don't have to  "Get it",    you  just have to accept that other people have different views from you.

You can carry on in your happy bubble, not carrying or using cash and others can do the opposite  -  that kind of thing leads to a contented world.

17 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Actually happened in the UK during the steel strike in 1980.

Those 'locked out' by BSC management were also unpaid and some of the salaried staff went to their bank for loans backed by their unpaid 'month on lieu' salary slip. After a meeting(on the impact of the strike)between Tory ministers and Bank chiefs, several banks coincidentally sent out threatening foreclosure notices.

That's a disgrace. And a Tory government, supposedly standing up for freedoms, makes it even worse.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

You don't have to, others want to, including many business owners.

Just because you find it more convenient does not mean everyone else does. Personally if I am buying anything over about £10 I'll usually pay by card,  but if it's under £10 then I prefer to pay with cash, partly because

I am shocked people do not check their bank statements, they cannot do because if they did they would not want them spammed with loads of poxy £1 transactions.

48 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You don't have to  "Get it",    you  just have to accept that other people have different views from you.

You can carry on in your happy bubble, not carrying or using cash and others can do the opposite  -  that kind of thing leads to a contented world.

And - without being obvious, you too have to accept that other people have different views to you - or doesn't it work that way?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

, although I admit to carrying a relatively small amount of notes, but they stay in my wallet that long, I'm surprised they haven't disintegrated.

If, on the rare occasion I need to use my wallet.

I have to take it to the hospital to have "Open Wallet" surgery performed on it.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And - without being obvious, you too have to accept that other people have different views to you - or doesn't it work that way?

Very true  -  of course it works that way,  and that is exactly what I have already said in my post  -  and I quote

"You can carry on in your happy bubble, not carrying or using cash and others can do the opposite  -  that kind of thing leads to a contented world".

I don't mind at all what you do,  so why should you mind about me and other cash users ?       You just don't need to  "get it".    just carry on doing what makes you happy.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Very true  -  of course it works that way,  and that is exactly what I have already said in my post  -  and I quote

"You can carry on in your happy bubble, not carrying or using cash and others can do the opposite  -  that kind of thing leads to a contented world".

I don't mind at all what you do,  so why should you mind about me and other cash users ?       You just don't need to  "get it".    just carry on doing what makes you happy.

If you say so, dear. 🤣