How Long It Will Be Before Our Society Becomes A Cashless One?

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Your struggling now . If you know anyone who needs a bulb changing, I will do it for free 

Great! I'll hold you to that.

Please register with age concern, so people know how to contact you.

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

"Don't it always seem to go, You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"

I've never seen cash fail - but I have often seen people panicking as a network outage means that their beloved smartcard/smartphone can't pay for things.

Again where does cash come from? What happens if a cash machines not working? Or out of cash? Where does the cash come from for cash back?

Are cash machines connected to a network? What happens if that goes down?

35 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Again where does cash come from? What happens if a cash machines not working? Or out of cash? Where does the cash come from for cash back?

Are cash machines connected to a network? What happens if that goes down?

If an ATM is down, I simply go to the next one.  Banks also provide cash, and I use banks when I can, ATM's when I can't. Whenever I've seen people (typically in pubs) being told that contactless network is down, they head for the nearest ATM, so I assume that the contactless system is more prone to failure than ATM networks.  As it's newer. that makes sense to me.

Bank branches and ATM's are closing, forcing people to at least consider contactless and Internet banking - simply alienating those of us who want to keep using cash.  Some organisations have gone cashless, and have to accept that they will lose custom as a result.  Some do it deliberately as they don't want older customers (trendy cafe's etc), and that is a way round age-discrimination laws.

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

If an ATM is down, I simply go to the next one.  Banks also provide cash, and I use banks when I can, ATM's when I can't. Whenever I've seen people (typically in pubs) being told that contactless network is down, they head for the nearest ATM, so I assume that the contactless system is more prone to failure than ATM networks.  As it's newer. that makes sense to me.

Bank branches and ATM's are closing, forcing people to at least consider contactless and Internet banking - simply alienating those of us who want to keep using cash.  Some organisations have gone cashless, and have to accept that they will lose custom as a result.  Some do it deliberately as they don't want older customers (trendy cafe's etc), and that is a way round age-discrimination laws.

The end bit if your post just sounds like paranoia

Edited by melthebell

This is all going to lead to payment by facial recognition and proof of identity by iris/fingerprint and eventually rapid dna scanning.

The downside's to that kind of technology being commonplace in society are enormous. It's already being used in schools, without any critical oversight.

Surprised people are happy to have their face scanned and recorded on those self serve checkouts ... where's your data going. Unless you pay cash, that's your face linked to your id, thanks, where can we sell that data. And we've also linked it to your car registration on your way in, and possibly left it for anyone to get hold of in an insecure amazon bucket on the internet.

Give it 10 years, there will be reports in the news about an obesity epidemic caused by the increase in contactless limits

Edited by fools