Some Schools Forcing Parents To Accept Only 'Online' Parents Evenings, Forever?

During the pandemic our lad's school undertook parents evenings "online", I could understand that though I thought they kept doing it rather longer than strictly necessary....

However, we are now being told at our child's school that all parents will only be offered an "online" parents evening and it is heavily implied this will be forever. To me "online" might be acceptable as a choice but only as a choice.

We were told "the great majority" of parents wanted their appointment "online, I  personally find that a bit shocking but if there really is such a small number of parents who actually want to go in and see their kids' teachers (something which shocks me I have to say) then surely schools should be able to cater for that. After all, when we enrolled our kids in the school, getting to meet our child's teacher on parents' evening was part of the deal. The school should never have started this if there was a possibility that they would not be adding to parental choice but actually reducing it by removing such an important part of the parents' interaction with the school. 
It did also occur to me how many parents might have been aware that their choice was being taken as approving that their opportunity to see the teacher on a parents evening would disappear forever. In fact what the school is doing is actually quite divisive because when I was talking to parents about their choice before, although I was aghast at their preference, I took the view that's up to them, just so long as it doesn't affect me it's their affair. But it is now affecting me and therefore I am finding it difficult not to feel rather negatively towards them. The school have done that and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Lastly, what message is this sending to kids that people should experience even more of their lives "online" and that meeting people face to face is so unimportant ? So why shouldn't they spend all evening in their bedrooms on their devices ?

The last sentence may not cut much ice with some people on here who may well interact with others almost exclusively "online"...... But to most people it would be rather worrying.

Edited by Chekhov

I agree Chekhov. I see ne reason why parents shouldn't have a choice. Do it online if you wish, but also leave the option for a face to face meeting open for those that prefer it.

These things are being forced on us all too often whether we like it or not.

IMO You gain a lot more insight in a face to face meeting. You get to see the building, the displays, the classroom where your child works, and that alone can tell you a lot. Also meeting the teacher helps build a working relationship. 

Otherwise it strikes me as just a box ticking exercise. 

I'd get in touch with the parent governors and have a word to let your views be known.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree Chekhov. I see ne reason why parents shouldn't have a choice. Do it online if you wish, but also leave the option for a face to face meeting open for those that prefer it.

These things are being forced on us all too often whether we like it or not.

IMO You gain a lot more insight in a face to face meeting. You get to see the building, the displays, the classroom where your child works, and that alone can tell you a lot. Also meeting the teacher helps build a working relationship. 

Otherwise it strikes me as just a box ticking exercise. 

I'd get in touch with the parent governors and have a word to let your views be known.

TBH Anna I used to like parents evenings, also seeing the other parents, I thought it was all part of building the "school team spirit".

Firstly in my years at grammar school we never had a single parents evening.

We had an annual school report and doubtless some parents contacted the school to discuss particulars.

This was totally different for my children and we attended every parents evening at Myers Grove.

These were usually chaotic with endless queues to see a particular teacher and little opportunity to get any useful information.

I would much have preferred a school report followed by an opportunity for more detailed online contact with a teacher if this had been available.

38 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Firstly in my years at grammar school we never had a single parents evening.

We had an annual school report and doubtless some parents contacted the school to discuss particulars.

This was totally different for my children and we attended every parents evening at Myers Grove.

These were usually chaotic with endless queues to see a particular teacher and little opportunity to get any useful information.

I would much have preferred a school report followed by an opportunity for more detailed online contact with a teacher if this had been available.

Every school I have ever come into contact with has had a parents evening, but, if you don't want to go to your kids' parents evenings you don't have too. Just so long as your decision doesn't affect other parents ability to do so. That's the point.

But isn't Myers Grove a secondary school ? If so it isn't like a Primary where you just make an appointment to see one teacher. I can see why you might have to queue up to see the various teachers of the various subjects, but equally trying to organise all of that online (even if you weren't bothered about actually talking to them face to face) would surely be quite complicated anyway ?

Edited by Chekhov

To be honest we never had a formal parents evening at my infants /junior school either but there were only 5 teachers plus a headmaster and most parents saw the teachers on a very regular basis.Mostly the mothers.

I take your point on junior schools nowadays,but as I said the secondary school parent evenings did not work well because it was not possible to have a meaningful chat with each subject teacher in the allotted time.

I can see how some parents might find it difficult to attend parents evenings, what with child care issues etc. We sometime do,  I can remember the first one I went to and it surprised me the school did not have a room set aside where ones kid's couldn't be dropped off for the 20 minutes or so it takes to get to see the teacher either "£2 a child", or if that raises other issues (there are so many regulations these days, too many...), "Donations (£2 suggested)". It'd actually make money as well as providing a valuable service.

Edited by Chekhov

29 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I can see how some parents might find it difficult to attend parents evenings, what with child care issues etc. We sometime do,  I can remember the first one I went to and it surprised me the school did not have a room set aside where ones kid's couldn't be dropped off for the 20 minutes or so it takes to get to see the teacher either "£2 a child", or if that raises other issues (there are so many regulations these days, too many...), "Donations (£2 suggested)". It'd actually make money as well as providing a valuable service.

Teacher- Parent- Child relationships are very important in my book. Anything that involves parents to participate in their child's education can only be good. It seems to happen much more at Primary school level.

By the time they get to secondary too often it's only for a child's bad behaviour, or to cadge more money off the parents for trips etc. Yet this is the very time when teenagers need most support and help to become fully rounded sensible adults. 

Sadly teachers literally don't have a lot of time for that relationship, neither do parents who are working most of the time, so I can see where video calls can help. But as I said before, nothing beats face to face meetings. I'd like to see secondary schools become much more part of the community, perhaps with things like  coffee mornings. (Could be a project for the kids to organise) and  for the elderly, to chat with the kids and get to know them. 

• Thanks 1

I am willing to bet that the OP's school still says that any parent wishing to have a meeting with a teacher is able to arrange a suitable appointment.

Secondly, no school ever makes any changes "forever".  Usually they are only likely to last as long as the head/principal is in post.