Some Schools Forcing Parents To Accept Only 'Online' Parents Evenings, Forever?

44 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Odd that two generations that were glued to a TV that you cannot interact with comment on a generation that is glued to a phone you can interact with and share with pals. The fact that their Soap generation parents ignored their children on weekdays, made them fat on TV dinners, gave up sitting at the table etc. and now have the gall to complain about the behaviour they created.  Winging hypocrites.

Watching the TV (particularly if you can pause it.....) is not as all consuming as being on the internet.

I think it is deeply worrying that we are bringing up a generation that apparently thinks it's normal to have "Facebook" friends they never meet. Mind you, it's not just kids. More than once I have been out having a meal and seeing an adult couple having a meal together both on their own phones almost never even making eye contact much less actually talking. You might think that's fine and nothing to worry about, but I think it's very concerning.

But, to return to the subject of the thread, if people want to live their lives on their phones that's up to them, but people who want to actually live their lives in the real world should not be forced to do the same. Especially when it's something as important as the education of their children.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Watching the TV (particularly if you can pause it.....) is not as all consuming as being on the internet.

I think it is deeply worrying that we are bringing up a generation that apparently thinks it's normal to have "Facebook" friends they never meet. Mind you, it's not just kids. More than once I have been out having a meal and seeing an adult couple having a meal together both on their own phones almost never even making eye contact much less actually talking. You might think that's fine and nothing to worry about, but I think it's very concerning.

But, to return to the subject of the thread, if people want to live their lives on their phones that's up to them, but people who want to actually live their lives in the real world should not be forced to do the same. Especially when it's something as important as the education of their children.

I agree. 

But more and more people are being forced down a route they have no wish to take.

That's the problem...

Edited by Anna B

It is telling that, since we have all been told face to face parents evenings are unlikely to return, no parent I have spoken to has been happy about it. Even the ones who actually want an online version this time !

One parent actually said to me she was unhappy about it without me even mentioning it.

At least I know I am not alone in my opposition, in fact I suspect I am in the majority.

It is telling that, since we have all been told face to face parents evenings are unlikely to return, no parent I have spoken to has been happy about it. Even the ones who actually want an online version this time !

One parent actually said to me she was unhappy about it without me even mentioning it.

At least I know I am not alone in my opposition, in fact I suspect I am in the majority.

Have you asked for any face-to-face meetings with any specific teachers?

If so what was the school's response?

15 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Interesting question.

The school are having an open hour after school one day where parents can come in and see the classrooms and, one assumes, talk to the teachers.

Now, if that extends to having the same sort of one to one time with the teacher that we used to get at parents evening that would go some way to restoring the status quo, other than the fact that the time would make it very awkward for working parents to attend and they would have to bring someone with them to look after their kid(s).

We have yet to hear if that one to one time with the teacher will be available but I am not hopeful that it will because it would only take, say, 5 sets of parents wanting their one to one time with the teacher and that's the best part of the hour gone.

Interesting sidelight, if any one to one time is available should it only be available to those parents who have not had (or do not want) the online version ? ! ?

Chekhov said:

I suspect I am in the majority.

13 hours ago, sibon said:

No surprise there then.

I suggest discussing this point on the Covid thread, it's here.

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Interesting question.

The school are having an open hour after school one day where parents can come in and see the classrooms and, one assumes, talk to the teachers.

Now, if that extends to having the same sort of one to one time with the teacher that we used to get at parents evening that would go some way to restoring the status quo, other than the fact that the time would make it very awkward for working parents to attend and they would have to bring someone with them to look after their kid(s).

We have yet to hear if that one to one time with the teacher will be available but I am not hopeful that it will because it would only take, say, 5 sets of parents wanting their one to one time with the teacher and that's the best part of the hour gone.

Interesting sidelight, if any one to one time is available should it only be available to those parents who have not had (or do not want) the online version ? ! ?

So that would be "No" then.

cgksheff said:

4 hours ago, cgksheff said:

So that would be "No" then.

No that's not what I said. We ,(buy which I mean parents who do want to see their kids' teachers face to face) do not know what the answer is yet, but, as I also stated I am not confident.

cgksheff said:

No that's not what I said. We ,(buy which I mean parents who do want to see their kids' teachers face to face) do not know what the answer is yet, but, as I also stated I am not confident.

Have you asked?

• 3 weeks later...

The online only parents evening took place this week, and there is every indication that this will remain the only choice, probably forever.

I am surprised how angry I am about it, I no longer support the Primary school my lad goes to and if anyone asks me what I think of the school I will tell them, regardless of the possible effect on local house prices !

I do wonder if Ofstead take into account (or will take into account because I bet they never considered it a possibility in the past) the fact a school does not offer face to face parents evenings and mark them down on it ? In my opinion they should do so.

Edited by Chekhov