Some Schools Forcing Parents To Accept Only 'Online' Parents Evenings, Forever?

33 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The online only parents evening took place this week, and there is every indication that this will remain the only choice, probably forever.

I am surprised how angry I am about it, I no longer support the Primary school my lad goes to and if anyone asks me what I think of the school I will tell them. regardless of the possible effect on local house prices !

I do wonder if Ofstead take into account (or will take into account because I bet they never considered it a possibility in the past) the fact a school does not offer face to face parents evenings and mark them down on it ? In my opinion they should do so.

Wow , you really have got a sense of grandeur. Believing that a few comments from you could effect house prices in the area

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The online only parents evening took place this week, and there is every indication that this will remain the only choice, probably forever.

I am surprised how angry I am about it, I no longer support the Primary school my lad goes to and if anyone asks me what I think of the school I will tell them. regardless of the possible effect on local house prices !

I do wonder if Ofstead take into account (or will take into account because I bet they never considered it a possibility in the past) the fact a school does not offer face to face parents evenings and mark them down on it ? In my opinion they should do so.

I don't think there's any excuse for doing it online with Primary schools.

Going up to the school is part of the evening. You can look round the school, see the displays, see your child's work (and the teacher's comments,) and meet the teacher in person. You'll learn a lot more about your child's experience than doing it online, (although they might want to keep that as an option.) 

I suggest you contact the governors and/or the parent teachers association and get it changed. 

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

.. and still you fail to tell us what their response was when you asked for a meeting with your child's teacher.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Wow , you really have got a sense of grandeur. Believing that a few comments from you could effect house prices in the area

You are showing your ignorance of house prices here. They rise if the local schools are considered good and fall if the opposite is the case, why do you think house prices around Tapton and Silverdale are so high ? Obviously just me being negative about our local school will have minimal impact, but if a significant number of parents did so it would undoubtedly have an effect. As an aside I was talking to another parent about this "online only" parents evening, she was as annoyed as I am and would "not be backward about coming forward" over it. She added she she did not care about the effect on house prices anyway because she was not wanting to move !

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I don't think there's any excuse for doing it online with Primary schools.

Going up to the school is part of the evening. You can look round the school, see the displays, see your child's work (and the teacher's comments,) and meet the teacher in person. You'll learn a lot more about your child's experience than doing it online, (although they might want to keep that as an option.) 

I suggest you contact the governors and/or the parent teachers association and get it changed. 

I started off on that course after you suggested it, then thought better of it as I am pretty sure it will make no difference. But, as the actual "online day" came and went I was so annoyed I did do so in the end.

Edited by Chekhov

12 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

.. and still you fail to tell us what their response was when you asked for a meeting with your child's teacher.

I did tell you, they are having an open hour after school one day and I was waiting to hear if parents were to be offered a one to one 10 minutes or so with the teacher. AFAIK this will not be the case, as I also stated earlier

If you are asking if a parent went out of their way to ask for a meeting with a teacher (in, or immediately after, school time)  I would be surprised if that would be refused. But that raises its own issues, how many parents want to cause such a fuss, certainly on a regular basis, and how many parents could attend (both especially) at that time ?

The fact is we have fundamentally different ideas about the importance of a face to face parents evening, and, I suspect, the importance of face to face meetings as  a general principle. 

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You are showing your ignorance of house prices here. They rise if the local schools are considered good and fall if the opposite is the case, why do you think house prices around Tapton and Silverdale are so high ? Obviously just me being negative about our local school will have minimal impact, but if a significant number of parents did so it would undoubtedly have an effect. As an aside I was talking to another parent about this "online only" parents evening, she was as annoyed as I am and would "not be backward about coming forward" over it. She added she she did not care about the effect on house prices anyway because she was not wanting to move !

I started off on that course after you suggested it, then thought better of it as I am pretty sure it will make no difference. But, as the actual "online day" came and went I was so annoyed I did do so in the end.

The only person showing ignorance is you . Believing that a few comments from you could affect house prices 

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The only person showing ignorance is you . Believing that a few comments from you could affect house prices 

I have already answered that, did you not read it ?

28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I did tell you, they are having an open hour after school one day and I was waiting to hear if parents were to be offered a one to one 10 minutes or so with the teacher. AFAIK this will not be the case, as I also stated earlier

If you are asking if a parent went out of their way to ask for a meeting with a teacher (in, or immediately after, school time)  I would be surprised if that would be refused. But that raises its own issues, how many parents want to cause such a fuss, certainly on a regular basis, and how many parents could attend (both especially) at that time ?

The fact is we have fundamentally different ideas about the importance of a face to face parents evening, and, I suspect, the importance of face to face meetings as  a general principle. 

No. You did not tell me. You still have not done so.
Now you are implying that you have not asked for a meeting with a teacher. Am I mistaken? Have you done so?

If you care about your child's education to the extent that you repeatedly parade your anger about it on here, asking to talk to a teacher is the least that you can do.

Asking will never be viewed negatively.
The way that you do so, may be.

2 hours ago, cgksheff said:

No. You did not tell me. You still have not done so.
Now you are implying that you have not asked for a meeting with a teacher. Am I mistaken? Have you done so?

If you care about your child's education to the extent that you repeatedly parade your anger about it on here, asking to talk to a teacher is the least that you can do.

Asking will never be viewed negatively.
The way that you do so, may be.

I have answered you, I feel you are just trying to make some point now.

You are implying you are happy to spend most of your life online wherever possible, I am not and I do not want my child brought up to think it is normal, because it is not and should not be encouraged. Face to face parents evenings were on offer when we enrolled our child in the school, so it is not unreasonable to conclude that the fact they have been withdrawn means they are not sticking to their commitments. It is not out of the question we would have enrolled our lad in a different school had we known what was going to happen. That is how strongly I feel about it.

Edited by Chekhov

28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have answered you, I feel you are just trying to make some point now.

You are implying you are happy to spend most of your life online wherever possible, I am not and I do not want my child brought up to think it is normal, because it is not and should not be encouraged. Face to face parents evenings were on offer when we enrolled our child in the school, so it is not unreasonable to conclude that the fact they have been withdrawn means they are not sticking to their commitments. It is not out of the question we would have enrolled our lad in a different school had we known what was going to happen. That is how strongly I feel about it.

Just talk to a teacher or the Head , make your feelings known and see what they say . Then report back on here