The Cane Or Slipper At School 77-99

Corporal punishment was abolished in law in state schools in England in 1986/87 and in public schools in 1999. A lot of schools stopped using it however by their own choice, before the bans legally came into place. Others used it right up to the end. Some schools stopped using the cane but retained the slipper until the ban too, and some caned boys not girls etc. or began to use it for only more serious offences.  Lots of variances.

I wonder what  school(s) in Sheffield you went to in the late 70-s or 80s

Did they still use corproal punishment in your time there (even if you did not get it) - did they cane hands, cane backside, slipper, smack legs, smack backside, ruler to palms, ruler to knuckles etc?

Did YOU get any form of corporal punishment at any of them - if so, what did you get, how many, how often and what for and roughly what years?

Did you get a choice? Or did your parents have to give consent?

I am not sure if there were are public or boarding schools in Sheffield in the era, if so they could use it to 1999, so you might fit into that catagory

If you were given the choice did you pick it as a form of punishment over somethinge else?

Not a post about the rights and wrongs of it,  It was a different time, it happened, it was legal.  Just fascinated to see which were the stricter schools, which retained it or used it to the end or closer to the ban

1 hour ago, Peter John said:

Corporal punishment was abolished in law in state schools in England in 1986/87 and in public schools in 1999. A lot of schools stopped using it however by their own choice, before the bans legally came into place. Others used it right up to the end. Some schools stopped using the cane but retained the slipper until the ban too, and some caned boys not girls etc. or began to use it for only more serious offences.  Lots of variances.

I wonder what  school(s) in Sheffield you went to in the late 70-s or 80s

Did they still use corproal punishment in your time there (even if you did not get it) - did they cane hands, cane backside, slipper, smack legs, smack backside, ruler to palms, ruler to knuckles etc?

Did YOU get any form of corporal punishment at any of them - if so, what did you get, how many, how often and what for and roughly what years?

Did you get a choice? Or did your parents have to give consent?

I am not sure if there were are public or boarding schools in Sheffield in the era, if so they could use it to 1999, so you might fit into that catagory

If you were given the choice did you pick it as a form of punishment over somethinge else?

Not a post about the rights and wrongs of it,  It was a different time, it happened, it was legal.  Just fascinated to see which were the stricter schools, which retained it or used it to the end or closer to the ban

Please start by giving us your experience.

Leaving day in 1962 was a tad different that day. We were fooling around in the leaving day assembly when the head teacher singled out one pupil for punishment, it could have been any of us. What happened next was quite amusing when I think back, the head selected his favourite cane and told the accused to assumed the position, but instead of complying he got hold of the head and forced him into position, he proceeded to administer six of the best to the head’s backside and then broke the cane into two. His last words to the head were “I hope that you enjoyed that sir, and before you say anything you know where you can shove my leaving certificate, I start work on Monday with it or without it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest makapaka
On 27/03/2022 at 20:49, lazarus said:

Banning of the use of the cane or slipper was a foolish step, look what we have in classrooms now, teachers have lost the control over their pupils thus giving control to the pupils.

You shouldn’t need to whack a kid with a cane or a slipper to keep control- daft comment.

times moved on.

22 hours ago, makapaka said:

You shouldn’t need to whack a kid with a cane or a slipper to keep control- daft comment.

times moved on.

Yes we’ve seen how times have moved on, teachers beaten up, murdered and pupils stabbed, a whack did the trick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I remember being in primary school during the late sixties, in the second year of infants, and witnessing the headmaster use the slipper to hit a boy in my class in front of everybody and thinking this is awful, barbaric. I can’t remember the heinous crime this boy had committed, it seemed terrible to subject a six/ seven year old boy to this. I’m 58 now and have never forgotten it.

On 28/03/2022 at 08:09, crookesey said:

Leaving day in 1962 was a tad different that day. We were fooling around in the leaving day assembly when the head teacher singled out one pupil for punishment, it could have been any of us. What happened next was quite amusing when I think back, the head selected his favourite cane and told the accused to assumed the position, but instead of complying he got hold of the head and forced him into position, he proceeded to administer six of the best to the head’s backside and then broke the cane into two. His last words to the head were “I hope that you enjoyed that sir, and before you say anything you know where you can shove my leaving certificate, I start work on Monday with it or without it.

Wish I'd seen that teachers were brutal once had a blackboard rubber thrown at my head for not paying attention had stick and slipper but that rubber hurt most 😫 

• Haha 1

I was slippered by a git called Wooley at Hatfield Secondary in the 60s.My dad saw the bruises and "confronted" him in front of the class. The bully was ****ting himself. My crime was forgetting my PE kit.

Barbaric times giving a stranger freedom to hit someone elses kid.