The Cane Or Slipper At School 77-99

• 11 months later...

Left school in 1960, had the cane a few time , not that much of a deal. Fortunately never reprimanded by a Mr Clark at Owler Lane Intermediate who used a rubber gas hose on the rear end 

Stool ball bat, slipper, slapped legs, ears and hair pulled, thumped in the middle of the back and ruler across the knuckles were on the junior school menu.

I progressed to the cane in secondary school.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2022 at 20:30, lazarus said:

Yes we’ve seen how times have moved on, teachers beaten up, murdered and pupils stabbed, a whack did the trick.

looks like someone is  getting  excited or perhaps even aroused by  physically assaulting children ... 

• Like 1

King Ecgbert.

Third year or thereabouts.

Mr Agar.

Geography class.

Hit around the head from behind because I was talking or something. Maybe I'd coloured my sea in incorrectly or something.

Ears rang for hours, temporary hearing loss; lucky (for him) he didn't rupture my eardrum.

Many other examples, PE teachers being the most egregious, creative and suspect in their attacks.

Did well enough despite rather than because of the physical assaults from adults.

What were they thinking?

Cheers

Dr Lionel Richtea

• Sad 1

On 30/04/2024 at 20:01, NicolaJayne said:

looks like someone is  getting  excited or perhaps even aroused by  physically assaulting children ... 

The 60s, 70s and 80s were a field day for teachers who liked to assault those pupils with undiagnosed ADHD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I went to Waltheof and left in '74, Got the cane multiple times for messing about, It didn't really hurt but had the slipper on me bum once and thought i'd never be able to sit down again!, It was in English lesson, A slightly built Mr Tunnard bent me over a desk and ran across the classroom as fast as his little legs would go and whacked me with a slipper so large that I think he borrowed it from Coco the clown! 😂

I wasn't expecting the feeling that i'd sat on the coal fire for twenty minutes but that is how it felt! I went and sat down- Or pretended to, I took the weight on my arms on the desk as I couldn't sit!!

We also had Mr Cooper, Another English teacher that was a lunatic sadist!, He actually hung a pupil over the handrail at the top of the towerblock! 😲 I had forgotten a book for the lesson, He shouted me to the front and screamed at the top of his voice half an inch from my nose, I ended up laid over the desk behind and he grabbed my ear and dragged me back upright so he could scream and spit at me again!!

He tried it on with a  Welsh geography teacher (Forgotten his name), He wasn't so good at bullying adults though as he ran and hid in a store room! 😂

Cooper was a Justice of the Peace too!

We had some real nasty types as teachers back then!!

Biggsy 👍

On 27/03/2022 at 18:35, Peter John said:

Corporal punishment was abolished in law in state schools in England in 1986/87 and in public schools in 1999. A lot of schools stopped using it however by their own choice, before the bans legally came into place. Others used it right up to the end. Some schools stopped using the cane but retained the slipper until the ban too, and some caned boys not girls etc. or began to use it for only more serious offences.  Lots of variances.

I wonder what  school(s) in Sheffield you went to in the late 70-s or 80s

Did they still use corproal punishment in your time there (even if you did not get it) - did they cane hands, cane backside, slipper, smack legs, smack backside, ruler to palms, ruler to knuckles etc?

Did YOU get any form of corporal punishment at any of them - if so, what did you get, how many, how often and what for and roughly what years?

Did you get a choice? Or did your parents have to give consent?

I am not sure if there were are public or boarding schools in Sheffield in the era, if so they could use it to 1999, so you might fit into that catagory

If you were given the choice did you pick it as a form of punishment over somethinge else?

Not a post about the rights and wrongs of it,  It was a different time, it happened, it was legal.  Just fascinated to see which were the stricter schools, which retained it or used it to the end or closer to the ban

I went to Norfolk School , and yes they used the cane , oh & a board rubber ,which I had to duck on several occasions 

• Haha 1