The Cane Or Slipper At School 77-99

On 02/05/2023 at 10:09, Lizzie b said:

I remember being in primary school during the late sixties, in the second year of infants, and witnessing the headmaster use the slipper to hit a boy in my class in front of everybody and thinking this is awful, barbaric. I can’t remember the heinous crime this boy had committed, it seemed terrible to subject a six/ seven year old boy to this. I’m 58 now and have never forgotten it.

I got the slipper when I was at Manor Lane 

In the Juniors it was the edge of the wooden ruler across the knuckles, or if you were not paying attention in class or seen talking, you got the blackboard rubber thrown at you.

In the Seniors it was the cane.

• 5 weeks later...

Got the cane across one hand if I remember correctly, in 77 or 78, along with my best friend, our 'crime' was taking a shortcut across the School playing fields and not walking all the way down the drive at Brook School.

Not sure either of us registered the pain, I think we were both trying to process what was going on, not just re the actual caning, but the long and rambling story the Headmaster told everyone during morning assembly about a wayward sheep dog not listening to its master, then our names being called and told to get up on the stage.

• Sad 1

Was summoned for the cane a couple of times but the headteacher bottled it. I 6ft 4" playing rugby for Sheffield, he 5ft 7" in a tweed jacket. Uncomfortable situation 😁

• Haha 1