Return Of The City Clipper?

The "Sheffield Connect" minibus has been running since 1st August. Every 10 minutes or so during shopping hours. Details https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/sheffield-connect

If you are wanting to connect with Supertram then the City Hall tram stop is the best place. If you are wanting to connect with other buses then Rockingham Street, Moorfoot, Sheffield Interchange or Flat Street are probably the best places, depending on which route. 

Service is operated by South Pennine Community Transport.

sheffieldconnectmap.jpg

website-page-header.jpg

Edited by Andy C

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Andy Cdetails already provided - although not in so much detail - at post #56

Seems to be a lack of awareness still... perhaps people need a big colourful graphic to notice.

Of course if the council got their act together and got on with building proper replacement bus facilities for Leopold Street/Pinstone Street then funding this minibus might not be necessary!

Edited by Andy C
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andy C said:

Seems to be a lack of awareness still... perhaps people need a big colourful graphic to notice.

I would definitely agree with that.

It does seem to be a half arsed approach which could be very easily fixed with very little money outlay.

Firstly, its branding. I'm aware of the service, I've seen the buses travelling around even accidentally spotted a couple of its designated bus stops - but blink and you'll miss them.  I can't understand why these buses were not liveried in some bold distinct colour, bright yellow? bright green? Bold logo? Cartoon design?  Just something that gives them a distinct identity away from any other buses in town. That branding and colour scheme could then be very clearly identified on associated signage or stopping points which would help people identify exactly where the route runs and where they can board and alight.  At least the old 'freebee' did that.

Secondly, whilst I do not believe Sheffield is touristy enough to have any sort of bus tour, they could at least have use this type of service to give announcements and point out key attractions at each of it stopping points. All it would take is a basic audio announcement on a loop which I'm sure could greatly help when all the student freshers come to town and when there are are visitor events on.  Hotels and venues could be directing people to the service particularly when they are travelling to and from the stations.

Thirdly, I think they've missed a great opportunity for local targeted advertising which could have brought in some income and may even partly fund the service.  It could have offered  local businesses to be part of the announcements or even have some sort of digital displays showing various businesses/hotels as it approaches stopping points. I've seen such things on other services around the world and really can't be that difficult with 2022 technology.

I'm not one for speculation usually but I do wonder if the local taxi mafia have had some persuasion in why the connect bus service offering is so lacklustre.

Edited by ECCOnoob

@ECCOnoobI kind of understand your points, but a 16(?) seater minibus, on the route it has is, as has been pointed out on the two/three much more recent topics on the subject, merely a vanity project cooked up between SCC and the SYCMA - t is of little real value - have you seen its route?

I hope to sample this fantastic innovation sometime in the next week, but from comments I have heard, and the odd times I have seen the vehicles in action, it is a total waste of resources.

I doubt the 'taxi mafia', as you call them have had any input, and even if they had, do you seriously think it would have any effect?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It does seem to be a half arsed approach which could be very easily fixed with very little money outlay.

Firstly, its branding. I'm aware of the service, I've seen the buses travelling around even accidentally spotted a couple of its designated bus stops - but blink and you'll miss them.  I can't understand why these buses were not liveried in some bold distinct colour, bright yellow? bright green? Bold logo? Cartoon design?  Just something that gives them a distinct identity away from any other buses in town. That branding and colour scheme could then be very clearly identified on associated signage or stopping points which would help people identify exactly where the route runs and where they can board and alight.  At least the old 'freebee' did that.

Secondly, whilst I do not believe Sheffield is touristy enough to have any sort of bus tour, they could at least have use this type of service to give announcements and point out key attractions at each of it stopping points. All it would take is a basic audio announcement on a loop which I'm sure could greatly help when all the student freshers come to town and when there are are visitor events on.  Hotels and venues could be directing people to the service particularly when they are travelling to and from the stations.

Thirdly, I think they've missed a great opportunity for local targeted advertising which could have brought in some income and may even partly fund the service.  It could have offered  local businesses to be part of the announcements or even have some sort of digital displays showing various businesses/hotels as it approaches stopping points. I've seen such things on other services around the world and really can't be that difficult with 2022 technology.

I'm not one for speculation usually but I do wonder if the local taxi mafia have had some persuasion in why the connect bus service offering is so lacklustre.

To be honest, when I first glanced at the picture of one of the minibuses from the Green Party literature & saw the name "Sheffield Connect", my first thought was it was some for of transport to get people to & from hospital or a service that had been provided to bring in people to the city centre from the more remote parts of Sheffield. 

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

All of which would cost money for a short term contract and more then likely cost too much. Maybe if and when the second phase comes in SOME of this could be incorporated

Of course the low usage may be just because the service is pointless and not needed with no demand outside the minds of councillors and local journalists. When much more useful services to where people live are being cut due to driver shortages this does seem an outrageous waste of resources. We all know the service was only conceived in reaction to complaints about the council closing Leopold Street and Pinstone Street, one of the main bus routes through the heart of the City Centre - with the promised replacement bus stops on Rockingham Street, Arundel Gate and Moorhead still not built and the old shelters, seating, electronic departure screens etc all just left abandoned along the closed road! 

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 2