Return Of The City Clipper?

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Personally, I don't understand why they can't make the whole thing self-funding with limited effort or involvement from the local authorities. Surely it wouldn't be much of a stretch to sell it out on a rolling contract to advertisers and have it as a glorified mobile billboard. Passengers would still get their convenient little Hopper service free at the point of use and without major intervention from the taxpayers. For visitors or recently arrived students in the city they could even use it as points of navigation with the bus announcing relevant stopping points to alight for landmarks or paid for sponsored highlighting of nearby businesses as it goes round.

How ridiculous!!

That sounds like a great idea, so there is no chance they will consider it. 

To make sure a service can start running as soon as possible, a Diesel Euro VI bus will be used ahead of transitioning to an electric bus following confirmation of funding.

:hihi: 

Also that site has a weird font. Gives me a headache, or maybe it's the diesel fumes and way of writing...

1st line (header): New shuttle bus set to provide free travel around Sheffield city centre

Last line: The city centre shuttle bus will be free to people with a valid travel pass, with a small flat fee for people without a pass.

Will it be a small fee like the 20p parking charges to ensure quick movement of vehicles and more spaces available, that is now, normal street pricing?

Fees, cash, and Britain and its Victorian society, is why buses are so slow now. A smooth efficient service doesn't work when at every stop 20 people fish around their pockets for coins. 

However, as someone pointed out, if it's completely free, it'll probably just be a warm place for all the druggies in town that Sheffield invited from other cities. 

13 hours ago, alarmingmark said:

No couldn’t be bothered as the council talk ******** anyway …they say one thing then do the opposite costing millions…

Agree !!  Why don't they just open the Pinstone Street area again and allow the existing Buses to use it. No need for a Shuttle Bus then .

As this 'bright idea' from the brain-dead Council we have means the 'free' shuttle will have to follow the same routes as current service buses, and most people in the city centre as visitors will most likely have a daily/weekly ticket anyway, I'd love to know what idiot came up with the idea. Also what size vehicle(s) are they going to be using - 12-seater minibuses or full-size deckers?

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As this 'bright idea' from the brain-dead Council we have means the 'free' shuttle will have to follow the same routes as current service buses, and most people in the city centre as visitors will most likely have a daily/weekly ticket anyway, I'd love to know what idiot came up with the idea. Also what size vehicle(s) are they going to be using - 12-seater minibuses or full-size deckers?

Hmmm... :huh:

Despite the quality of the incompetents we have strolling around the corridors of the Town Hall...

... I think a decision of this magnitude would still probably require the expertise of more than one individual. :hihi:

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Despite the quality of the incompetents we have strolling around the corridors of the Town Hall...

... I think a decision of this magnitude would still probably require the expertise of more than one individual. :hihi:

Expertise, Mr Bloke? More like idiocy, I would think.

22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I recall people moaning the toss on this forum when the old Freebee was discontinued in (i think) 2014. Apart from the likelihood that some people will have to pay a nominal fee to use it (which we dont know yet what it is), whats changed since then? The current service buses have always existed.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt really see the point of the original Freebee. Just wondered what was so different now.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I recall people moaning the toss on this forum when the old Freebee was discontinued in (i think) 2014. Apart from the likelihood that some people will have to pay a nominal fee to use it (which we dont know yet what it is), whats changed since then? The current service buses have always existed.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt really see the point of the original Freebee. Just wondered what was so different now.

I wasn't among the moaners back then, as I couldn't see the point of the FreeBees anyway. Nothing has changed (apart from the idiots making the decisions).

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Expertise, Mr Bloke? More like idiocy, I would think.

You're probably right Mr Rolling, but remember (with apologies to any 'apostrophobics')...

... one man's person's 'expertise' is another man's person's 'ineptitude'! ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

How ridiculous!!

That sounds like a great idea, so there is no chance they will consider it. 

:hihi: 

Also that site has a weird font. Gives me a headache, or maybe it's the diesel fumes and way of writing...

1st line (header): New shuttle bus set to provide free travel around Sheffield city centre

Last line: The city centre shuttle bus will be free to people with a valid travel pass, with a small flat fee for people without a pass.

Will it be a small fee like the 20p parking charges to ensure quick movement of vehicles and more spaces available, that is now, normal street pricing?

Fees, cash, and Britain and its Victorian society, is why buses are so slow now. A smooth efficient service doesn't work when at every stop 20 people fish around their pockets for coins. 

However, as someone pointed out, if it's completely free, it'll probably just be a warm place for all the druggies in town that Sheffield invited from other cities. 

Nothing is FREE!

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Just wondered what was so different now.

That far fewer major city-centre shops [1] are served by buses that stop even remotely near[2]  to them.

[1]: if there are any left by then.

[2]: OK, I know- how can it be 'remote' if it's 'near'; but you get my drift!