Violence At The Oscars!

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Do you understand the concept of context?

It's really important to call out context 👍

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I think ‘Mocking’ is too strong, it seems to me, more along the lines of being made the butt of a joke. It (Chris Rock’s comment) was not intended to be taken seriously...

Ah - you also need to use it to 😘

I guess what you (me and maybe most people) don't have is context.   It's not normal for someone to get up, on a live show, in front of an audience of your peers, and slap/punch someone.  So with that in mind, there is probably some other context that we are not aware of:

Chris Rock has taken the mick out of Jada before - may be there is some more to this history.

Jada has written before on the issues she has with suffering hair loss - do it's obviously something that affects her not just professional but personally too.

Maybe, before they came out, Jada was not doing well.  maybe she was really upset.  Maybe she has depression?

Maybe Will was laughing along because he didn't hear properly (as in "I must have heard him wrong") and maybe he didn't want to cause a scene - perhaps when looking over at Jada and saw that she was upset, he realised that this is maybe not the time to stay quiet. 

Or maybe Will Smith was drunk/think's he's a tough man and would sort of Chris Rock there and then.

Personally, if someone is going to make something that personal a "butt" of a joke - on live TV in front of a load of your peers - they also have to take responsibility for what they say.  Would a strongly worded statement in the papers make a difference - would an apology from Chris Rock work.  Would everyone forget the joke and remember the apology.?  Dunno.   Would I have done that - it's a hypothetical question because I don't live that context (and never will) - but agree that hitting people is not the answer (which is probably why Will apologised).    But it depends on the context. 

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK, so just to get it straight, its fine for someone to make a joke about a medical issue that results in your wife losing her hair. 

Yes it is. Comedy and jokes by their very nature all have a target and punchline. Everyone could potentially cop for it.  Fat people, skinny people, black people, white people, gay people, straight people, asexuals, people with disabilities, people with different hair colour, politicians, celebrities, street beggars through to company directors.

Context and delivery is the key issues. Comedians can't be pussyfooting around scared to produce any jokes about anyone or anything in the constant fear that they will offend. Exactly the same principle could apply to any sort of written scripts, dramatised scene or musical lyrics.

It is well established for decades in award shows that the primary host and or guest presenters will undertake some form of directed jokes or roasting of the vip's in the room. To me, there is no harm in these over privileged - overpaid dahhhlings of stage and screen getting a little bit of a jibing once a year. Dents their ego and brings them back down to reality.

Regardless of the nature of the medical condition, Smith's wife was more than happy to to broadcast it to the public on her social media account and no doubt got a few nice magazine deals or interviews telling the world about her  issues.  Should be prepared to toughen up and take a little bit of jibing from a comedian about it.

As for Smith himself, if he really was that disgusted and offended by the targeted attack on his wife, after of course laughing about it first when the cameras were on him, there will be 100 ways to deal with it quietly and dignified without resorting to such embarrassing and childish acts of violence.

Slippery slope to be over sanitizing every single thing and my only hope is next year they get an even more controversial and outspoken host. Problem is though, Hollywood is so fickle and driven by the ego  filled celeb entourage and public perceptions on the twitterati they'll be too scared to.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

Obviously to maximise publicity for them both.  Mission accomplished. 

Well Rock has come out of it appearing boorish and insensitive, whereas Smith is left looking stupid and thuggish. And both have upstaged the achievements of the other participants honoured at the ceremony.

Not exactly the sort of publicity either of them would've wanted, if a plan was conceived of in advance.

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Obviously to maximise publicity for them both.  Mission accomplished. 

Hmmm... :huh:

I totally agree! :thumbsup:

I'm amazed (well, not really) that there's so many gullible people about!

From this BBC report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60897004

The comedian looked stunned in the immediate aftermath of the incident, but told the audience:
"That was the greatest night in the history of television."

Says it all really... :roll:

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The bloke is an  Oscar winning actor meaning he's capable of feigning a look of hate on his face.

Or even make it out he actually struck someone- he's mainly an action type actor, so could even have made it appear like he actually made contact with Chris Rock.

Anyway both Will and Jada haven't exactly kept their private lives 'private'.

Sharing their odd marriage with the public, how they both choose to have affairs and still see themselves as a married couple. 

17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Would be funny to see Johnson and Starmer wrestling on the floor during question time and the  the Speaker of the house reffing,  shouting onerrr, twoerrr as Starmer gets Johnson in a full nelson.  :hihi:

Isn’t that a sex position at Eton College? 🤫