Violence At The Oscars!

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Neither action was acceptable. But now we know its fine to nip round and slag your wife off, send me your address and I will come round and call her a fat cow.

Do you understand the concept of context?

It's been reported that before the Oscars they go through a dry run - so it's scripted down to the nth degree and things go smoothly.

I'm guessing that during the dry run, Smith thought it was funny - and he did initially laugh on Rock's joke about his wife. Only Smith saw the reaction of his wife to 'the joke', and she wasn't laughing, so Smith felt like he had to show some outrage.

Mocking someone in a very public arena is not nice and maybe Rock will have learned something - but there's something really grating about Smith. So a pox on both their houses!

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's likely the whole incident between the two blokes was staged and pre planned. 

I don't think the whole incident was planned - the look of hate on Smith's face suggests it wasn't.

But it's peculiar that he was so angry, because on stage when the 'joke' was made he was grinning away like a Cheshire Cat.

I think the only film I've seen Smith in that I've liked is Six Degrees of Separation - the others I've seen him in are crap.

Anyway, It's a shame for all the other artists that were being celebrated, they're being overlooked because of this incident,

Edited by Mister M

You have to understand that these folks make their living playing pretend and dress up.

They are only barely more mature than the hoards of air brains that idolize them. 

What does Jordan think?  :)

Edited by trastrick

55 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It's been reported that before the Oscars they go through a dry run - so it's scripted down to the nth degree and things go smoothly.

I'm guessing that during the dry run, Smith thought it was funny - and he did initially laugh on Rock's joke about his wife. Only Smith saw the reaction of his wife to 'the joke', and she wasn't laughing, so Smith felt like he had to show some outrage.

Mocking someone in a very public arena is not nice and maybe Rock will have learned something - but there's something really grating about Smith. So a pox on both their houses!

I think ‘Mocking’ is too strong, it seems to me, more along the lines of being made the butt of a joke. It (Chris Rock’s comment) was not intended to be taken seriously...

Surely that’s the thing with some comedy, it’s poking fun at people. I don’t know how a person can sit there smiling and laughing while a comedian is poking fun at everyone else, but then when the target is his wife, he gets offended (and then, only after he has at first laughed at the joke, before seeing his wife’s reaction).

I very much agree there’s something unsavoury about Will Smith.