Businesses May Have To Have 'Menopause' Policies.

Here's one that is going to tie some feminists in knots.

On the one hand they say that women are every bit as good as men and should have the same pay, conditions and job opportunities. Basically they should be treated exactly the same.

But on the other allowance should apparently be made for a woman's work performance dropping off during the menopause. In fact at this very moment the UK Parliament's  Women & Equalities Committee is considering giving menopausal women additional legal protections in the work place.

Just to nail my colours to the mast, I do not think men or women are "better", they are just different. There are some jobs that women tend to be able to do better than men, and vice verse. But it goes without saying I think men and women doing the same job with the same degree of competence and productivity should get the same pay.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

On the one hand they say that women are every bit as good as men and should have the same pay, conditions and job opportunities. Basically they should be treated exactly the same.

But on the other allowance should apparently be made for a woman's work performance dropping off during the menopause. In fact at this very moment the UK Parliament's  Women & Equalities Committee is considering giving menopausal women additional legal protections in the work place.

Just to nail my colours to the mast, I do not think men or women are "better", they are just different. There are some jobs that women tend to be able to do better than men, and vice verse. But it goes without saying I think men and women doing the same job with the same degree of competence and productivity should get the same pay.

Women should have the same pay, conditions and job opportunities as men. I thought that should be self evident and uncontroversial.

Why should allowances not be made for those women whose work performance drops off during the menopause? How many women are affected by the symptoms of the menopause to the point where their work is suffering as a result?

I don't understand why you think the two are mutually exclusive.

Maybe it might be helpful to highlight how many working women this affects, and how women can be affected in the work place, and what can be done to support those affected.

Edited by Mister M

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Just to nail my colours to the mast, work is about more than productivity. People are humans not machines. If someone's performance dips as a result of something out of there control, so be it. Allowances should be made, and if legal protection for those allowances is required, then they should be implemented.

18 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Just to nail my colours to the mast, work is about more than productivity. People are humans not machines. If someone's performance dips as a result of something out of there control, so be it. Allowances should be made, and if legal protection for those allowances is required, then they should be implemented.

Oh dear! :(

Let me guess...

... either another University or Council employee? :hihi:

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

This is the thin end of a very long wedge.

You appear to be saying that even if someone cannot do a job as well as would normally be expected than if it is for something beyond their control they should be allowed to do the job anyway ?

Would that be a correct interpretation of what you have said ?

And if it is, who is expected to pay for the lack of productivity that results ?

The state ? Or the employer ?

Just out of interest, what constitutes "out of their control" ? What about someone who is morbidly obese ?

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Women should have the same pay, conditions and job opportunities as men. I thought that should be self evident and uncontroversial.

Why should allowances not be made for those women whose work performance drops off during the menopause? How many women are affected by the symptoms of the menopause to the point where their work is suffering as a result?

I don't understand why you think the two are mutually exclusive.

Maybe it might be helpful to highlight how many working women this affects, and how women can be affected in the work place, and what can be done to support those affected.

The menopause is a minefield.

I know some women who refuse to accept that it has affected them, for example they deny it has made them more irritable or short tempered. So, for women who do not accept the menopause has affected them, would they still be covered by the allowances you say should be made for those suffering during the menopause ?

Edited by Chekhov

33 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

... I know some women who refuse to accept that it has affected them, for example they deny it has made them more irritable or short tempered. ...

Do these women tend to become irritable and short-tempered while you're explaining  their apparent menopausal symptoms to them, or is it more a general thing that you notice when you interact with them?

50 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Do these women tend to become irritable and short-tempered while you're explaining  their apparent menopausal symptoms to them, or is it more a general thing that you notice when you interact with them?

Are you mad ?  I have learnt never to mention the menopause to women, particularly of a certain age.

And you must NEVER even imply they may be more irritable......

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

This is the thin end of a very long wedge.

You appear to be saying that even if someone cannot do a job as well as would normally be expected than if it is for something beyond their control they should be allowed to do the job anyway ?

Would that be a correct interpretation of what you have said ?

And if it is, who is expected to pay for the lack of productivity that results ?

The state ? Or the employer ?

Just out of interest, what constitutes "out of their control" ? What about someone who is morbidly obese ?

The menopause is a minefield.

I know some women who refuse to accept that it has affected them, for example they deny it has made them more irritable or short tempered. So, for women who do not accept the menopause has affected them, would they still be covered by the allowances you say should be made for those suffering during the menopause ?

My bold, no thats not what hes saying.