Businesses May Have To Have 'Menopause' Policies.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Just to nail my colours to the trendy mast, I'd like to point out that feeding Justin the subtle troll is a fool's game.

See the covid threads, the Audi thread and others for detail.

He's best ignored.  I know he'll have a tantrum about that suggestion, but just put it down to his hormones.

Must agree 

8 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Now I find this very puzzling!

Not that I'm doubting your honesty, but if you are indeed an electrical engineering subcontractor, then wouldn't that mean that you'd be classed as self-employed by HMRC?

And the relevance of this would be that if you don't turn up for work, you don't get paid.

So you should know first hand that contractors do indeed work flat out for their alloted time regardless of any ailments they have...

... unless apparently, they're employed in the public sector. :hihi:

I've been in contracting for years, for large petrochem and pharma engineeringcontractors, and yes, never miss a day. I couldn't care less whether you doubt my honesty or not, but again, why is my own employment of relevance? You seem desperate for me to work in the public sector.

You find it puzzling that a person can empathise with another's situation and think that their employer should make allowances? Which presumably means that you don't take the same view? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Are you mad ?  I have learnt never to mention the menopause to women, particularly of a certain age.

And you must NEVER even imply they may be more irritable......

Absolutely perfect.  That's covered that one nicely.

Hey, has anyone mentioned the perimenopause to you?  Can start to affect women a decade or so before 'typical' (heh) menopausal symptoms manifest.  Many employers have been able to adopt empathetic and practical responses to accommodate the requirements of those affected. 

Very much looking forward to hearing your views.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I've been in contracting for years, for large petrochem and pharma engineeringcontractors, and yes, never miss a day. I couldn't care less whether you doubt my honesty or not, but again, why is my own employment of relevance? You seem desperate for me to work in the public sector.

You find it puzzling that a person can empathise with another's situation and think that their employer should make allowances? Which presumably means that you don't take the same view? 

I just find it interesting that someone who has chosen to become a self-employed contractor (and thereby giving up all the 'perks' of being a permanent employee) is advocating more time off for permanent employees.

The only reason I can think of as to why that would be is for purely selfish reasons...

... it gives the contract employees the opportunity of more work! :hihi:

15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

That's quite a bold and all encompassing statement to make. No exceptions to that rule?

The employer pays for reduced productivity,  manages the situation, and keeps a valued employee. That's what happens in good professional organisations.

I thought you'd say that. 

So, yet again, the government passes legislation and the employer pays for it.

Have you ever spotted  a trend ?

14 hours ago, sibon said:

Just to nail my colours to the trendy mast, I'd like to point out that feeding Justin the subtle troll is a fool's game.

See the Covid threads, the Audi thread and others for detail.

He's best ignored.  I know he'll have a tantrum about that suggestion, but just put it down to his hormones.

A troll is someone who says something outrageous, particularly if :

1 - There is a strong possibility they do not actually believe it themselves

2 - They are deliberately trying to upset people.

Neither is true as far as anything I can ever remember writing on any forum.

No, I suspect you are just avoiding an awkward argument.

Germans car drivers (esp Audi drivers) do tend to be most aggressive on the road, anyone with half an unbiased brain knows it. But why do you keep bringing this up on other threads ?

Why do you not argue your corner on the correct thread (i.e. here) ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chekhov said:

Are you mad ?  I have learnt never to mention the menopause to women, particularly of a certain age.

And you must NEVER even imply they may be more irritable......

5 hours ago, Hecate said:

Absolutely perfect.  That's covered that one nicely.

Hey, has anyone mentioned the perimenopause to you?  Can start to affect women a decade or so before 'typical' (heh) menopausal symptoms manifest.  Many employers have been able to adopt empathetic and practical responses to accommodate the requirements of those affected. 

Very much looking forward to hearing your views.

How does your post relate to mine ? I don't see it at all.

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

I just find it interesting that someone who has chosen to become a self-employed contractor (and thereby giving up all the 'perks' of being a permanent employee) is advocating more time off for permanent employees.

The only reason I can think of as to why that would be is for purely selfish reasons...

... it gives the contract employees the opportunity of more work! :hihi:

If that's the only reason you can think of, I pity you.

Here's a reason, employees are human beings, who have ups and downs and deserve a bit of help when they are in a dip. By providing that understanding, the employee stays, and in the end, both parties gain.

What would you do, take some sort of disciplinary action? A verbal warning, or straight to dismissal?

Would it help you to understand if I put a few emojis in there?

Edited by Bargepole23

24 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

If that's the only reason you can think of, I pity you.

Here's a reason, employees are human beings, who have ups and downs and deserve a bit of help when they are in a dip. By providing that understanding, the employee stays, and in the end, both parties gain.

What would you do, take some sort of disciplinary action? A verbal warning, or straight to dismissal?

Would it help you to understand if I put a few emojis in there?

OK, I've now got you sussed...

... you're clearly one of the highly regarded altruistic sorts normally only found employed by the public sector. :)

I applaud you! :clap:

18 hours ago, Anna B said:

Menopause symptoms can be easily relieved with HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy,) but it's not always offered to all women. I don't know why, if there are no medical contraindications, it should be.

HRT must cost divorce lawyers a fortune !

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

I thought you'd say that. 

So, yet again, the government passes legislation and the employer pays for it.

Have you ever spotted  a trend ?

According to the Women and Equalities Committee looking at Menopause and the Workplace:

A 2019 survey conducted by BUPA and the Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development (CIPD) found that three in five menopausal women- usually aged between 45 and 55- were negatively affected at work and that almost 900,000 women in the U.K. left their jobs over an undefined period of time because of menopausal symptoms. This could mean that women are leaving businesses “at the peak of their experience” which will “impact productivity”. Women in this age group are likely to be eligible for senior management roles, and so their exit can lessen diversity at executive levels. It can also contribute to the gender pay-gap and feed into a disparity in pensions.

Given the "impact on productivity" that 900,000 women leaving the workforce will have on employers, and on their training budgets what would you have the Government do?

Ignore the existence of the problem, watch wasted experience and further potential go down the drain while employers scrabble around for replacements with similar levels of experience. 

Or assist employers in putting together a package of measures which include support, information, examples of best practice; looking at how current legislation is or isn't working etc. 

Presumably employers benefit from having workers with years of experience in that sector, so why would they not want to keep those valuable employees as long as possible, and assist in making that happen?

I wonder if you're being dismissive of the idea of Parliament looking at menopause and its potential impact because it's 'just menopausal women'. Or would you be equally dismissive about a parliamentary inquiry into the employment prospects and needs of former soldiers returning to civilian life, for example?

Edited by Mister M