Businesses May Have To Have 'Menopause' Policies.

52 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

OK, I've now got you sussed...

... you're clearly one of the highly regarded altruistic sorts normally only found employed by the public sector. :)

I applaud you! :clap:

There was a question in my reply, to which you have failed to respond.

Namely, if a woman who reported to you at work was suffering through symptoms of menopause, what would your actions be?

Disciplinary measures, or sympathy and help, or just ignore the issue like Chekhov, who has learnt

".......never to mention the menopause to women, particularly of a certain age.

And you must NEVER even imply they may be more irritable......"

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Given the "impact on productivity" that 900,000 women leaving the workforce will have on employers, and on their training budgets what would you have the Government do?

Who said anything about 900,000 menopausal women leaving the workforce ?

My point about this thread is that women appear to want to be treated exactly the same as men, except when it may not suit them.  And that is quite obviously inconsistent.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

My point about this thread is that women appear to want to be treated exactly the same as men, except when it may not suit them.  And that is quite obviously inconsistent.

The answer to your first question is in my post above.

With regards to your second point, my understanding is that with regards to employment, many women over the last 50 years have been calling for things like equal pay, action against sexism and discrimination, maternity pay and rights, and affordable childcare. That's not being treated the same as men.

Of course most women's groups want equality, that's not unreasonable; but that's not the same as being treated the same as men because individuals have different circumstances related to their gender: the menopause being one of these.

People with mental health difficulties want equal respect and rights at work, but you wouldn't complain that if someone with such difficulties has time off work due to a crisis, then they're not entitled to equal respect and rights at work because they've already had their time off for a crisis. 

Or perhaps you would...:huh:

Edited by Mister M

If men had significant menopausal symptoms, I think it's likely we'd have had supportive measures put in place years ago. It reminds me of that Ben Elton joke about how adverts for tampons were (at the time) not allowed, and how different it would be if it were men who needed them:

[Radio 4 voice] "It was a lovely sunny day, I'd just walked out of the pavilion to bat, and would you believe it - my period started"

Which is the first point where you have made clear what you might have pinned to the wall.

It's all so thuddingly, tediously inevitable that Chekhov's point, such as it is, should boil down to this:

... My point about this thread is that women appear to want to be treated exactly the same as men, except when it may not suit them.  And that is quite obviously inconsistent.

Because of course it does.  I can't even bring myself to snark about it.

48 minutes ago, Delbow said:

If men had significant menopausal symptoms, I think it's likely we'd have had supportive measures put in place years ago. It reminds me of that Ben Elton joke about how adverts for tampons were (at the time) not allowed, and how different it would be if it were men who needed them:

[Radio 4 voice] "It was a lovely sunny day, I'd just walked out of the pavilion to bat, and would you believe it - my period started"

Immediate flashback to 1987 Friday Night Live :D .  Double seat, double seat, got to get a double seat. 

As you were.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

My point about this thread is that women appear to want to be treated exactly the same as men, except when it may not suit them.

What they want is the same consideration as a man would get for an illness specific to men.

There is no double standard, it only exists in your head.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

And that is quite obviously inconsistent.

Given that men and women can suffer different illnesses that are specific to their sex... it really isn't :?

• Like 2

On 28/03/2022 at 19:26, Anna B said:

Menopause symptoms can be easily relieved with HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy,) but it's not always offered to all women. I don't know why, if there are no medical contraindications, it should be.

HRT brings its own problems, in the case of my beloved a crippling acid reflux that she had never experienced before.

1 minute ago, Norbert said:

HRT brings its own problems, in the case of my beloved a crippling acid reflux that she had never experienced before.

Sorry to hear that. I presume she's stopped taking it, and seen a doctor about it. 

I  did say providing there are no contraindications to taking it. This sounds like a big one.