Day Trips To End Or Not

39 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

It was shut (or certainly looked like it) last time I went 🙃 .

So much lovely countryside, woods, parks, rocks, standing stones etc 10 to 15 mins away from Sheffield without going to the coast.

Very true.

But I see it as another reason Sheffield needs an outdoor Lido /swimming pool in Sheffield.

Crikey, we are about as far as you can get from the sea.

Brisbane has the most beautiful artificial beach and landscaped swimming pools and waterfalls. It's gorgeous and very popular even though it's next door to the real thing. If the weather is a problem, it could be under a retractable dome.

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very true.

But I see it as another reason Sheffield needs an outdoor Lido /swimming pool in Sheffield.

Brisbane has the most beautiful artificial beach and landscaped swimming pools and waterfalls. It's gorgeous and very popular even though it's next door to the real thing. If the weather is a problem, it could be under a retractable dome.

Hmmm... :huh:

Didn't the Council organise our very own no-expense spared 'beach extravaganza' in the Peace Gardens?

Or was that just some local scallies fly-tipping a few bags of building sand they had left over from building some much needed student accommodation? :confused:

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very true.

Oh come off it. It's a well-known fact that Britain by it's very nature has very limited distance between the sea and it's inland towns.   Good grief, point to point it could be no more than 100 miles at most.

Cleethorpes is about 90 minutes and 70 miles away.  Hull is about the same.  A little further time and you have Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington but still less than 100 miles.  There is Skegness and Ingoldmells. Even along the Atlantic side, it may take a little longer in terms of travel time but distance wise still well within 100 miles and arguably day trip category......

Try living some backwater in rural Canada, the USA, France or Spain where the nearest major town is a 3, 4, 6 hour drive away. As for coastline, you are looking at several hours flight.

You talk about Brisbane but it's a totally different climate, lifestyle and way of living. We already have several artificial places for swimming. We already have a large outdoor water sports facility on our doorstep. What makes you so sure that some landscaped false beach and lido in the centre of Sheffield would actually have sufficient draw and customers?  The way that Brits like holiday "at the seaside" is totally different to our neighbours around the world.

Why does it need to be faux created in the city when the real thing already exists less than a couple hours away. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Didn't the Council organise our very own no-expense spared 'beach extravaganza' in the Peace Gardens?

Or was that just some local scallies fly-tipping a few bags of building sand they had left over from building some much needed student accommodation? :confused:

Exactly. Totally rubbish.

I've been trying to download some pictures of the Brisbane artificial beach which is world's away from this rather pathetic effort. 

I'll keep trying to upload them, but look it up on Google images.

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh come off it. It's a well-known fact that Britain by it's very nature has very limited distance between the sea and it's inland towns.   Good grief, point to point it could be no more than 100 miles at most.

Cleethorpes is about 90 minutes and 70 miles away.  Hull is about the same.  A little further time and you have Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington but still less than 100 miles.  There is Skegness and Ingoldmells. Even along the Atlantic side, it may take a little longer in terms of travel time but distance wise still well within 100 miles and arguably day trip category......

Try living some backwater in rural Canada, the USA, France or Spain where the nearest major town is a 3, 4, 6 hour drive away. As for coastline, you are looking at several hours flight.

You talk about Brisbane but it's a totally different climate, lifestyle and way of living. We already have several artificial places for swimming. We already have a large outdoor water sports facility on our doorstep. What makes you so sure that some landscaped false beach and lido in the centre of Sheffield would actually have sufficient draw and customers?  The way that Brits like holiday "at the seaside" is totally different to our neighbours around the world.

Why does it need to be faux created in the city when the real thing already exists less than a couple hours away. 

Yes we are (only) a couple of hours away from the sea, and very nice places they are too. But as this was a thread about people not being able to afford a day trip there, your point is a bit irrelevant.

Where is the 'large outdoor water sports facility on our doorstep?' If you mean Hathersage, it's tiny, and packed out when the sun shines. Meanwhile we have a large number of underused public parks, one of which could be converted into the sort of high class, landscaped and beautifully planted, permanent facility I have in mind. A place that could attract visitors from much further afield. Sheffield needs attractions such as this if it is to survive as a forward looking thriving city.. Have a look on Google images, (Brisbane artificial beach)

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes we are (only) a couple of hours away from the sea, and very nice places they are too. But as this was a thread about people not being able to afford a day trip there, your point is a bit irrelevant.

Where is the 'large outdoor water sports facility on our doorstep?' If you mean Hathersage, it's tiny, and packed out when the sun shines. Meanwhile we have a large number of underused public parks, one of which could be converted into the sort of high class, landscaped and beautifully planted, permanent facility I have in mind. A place that could attract visitors from much further afield. Sheffield needs attractions such as this if it is to survive as a forward looking thriving city.. Have a look on Google images.

Clifton Park in Rotherham is far better than any in Sheffield...

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Where is the 'large outdoor water sports facility on our doorstep?' If you mean Hathersage, it's tiny, and packed out when the sun shines. Meanwhile we have a large number of underused public parks, one of which could be converted into the sort of high class, landscaped and beautifully planted, permanent facility I have in mind. A place that could attract visitors from much further afield. Sheffield needs attractions such as this if it is to survive as a forward looking thriving city.. Have a look on Google images, (Brisbane artificial beach)

I'm not talking about Hathersage Anna. I am talking about places like Rother Valley where they have an entire Watersports Centre open in the right season.

I am talking about the fact that unlike Brisbane we do not have a year round pleasant climate so any such outdoor facilities will have a limited shelf life throughout the year with the exception of a tiny number of hardened regular users who alone certainly will not pay enough for it's upkeep.

I'm talking about the fact that if people want to go swimming either for exercise, training or more leisure activity facilities are available in various places in and around the City.

I really don't get why you are so obsessed over what Brisbane has.  I couldn't think of any more ridiculous and totally irrelevant comparator when it is a totally different lifestyle, climate and way of life. What you propose may well have a novelty factor and a bit of a buzz for 2-3 months of the year but what exactly is going to happen with it in the middle autumn or throughout the winter when no one touches it with a barge pole.

Let's also not forget that the only reason that Brisbane's 'streets beach' existed was because the land was already under redevelopment following expo 1988 and it was also heavily funded by two major sponsors, the former of which was an International corporation.  Now given your very apparent dislike for grubby hands of capitalists are you going to be very happy about let's say,  Amazon's billboards plastered all over or Starbucks or Nestlé? Or as usual do you just expect taxpayers to cough up. 

It's deluded. You claim people won't be able to afford days out at the seaside 90 minutes away when they are still flocking abroad on their cheap bargain basement flights to exploit low wages and seasonal pay in countries with far better weather. Just take a look at the crowds surging through Heathrow and Gatwick and Manchester right now. You ain't telling me they are all multi billionaire businessman flying to their private islands.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Exactly. Totally rubbish.

I've been trying to download some pictures of the Brisbane artificial beach which is world's away from this rather pathetic effort. 

I'll keep trying to upload them, but look it up on Google images.

See the source image

See the source image

Flood the Moor - 'jobs a good un'

See the source image

Obviously not a local lass - No Tattoo's 

• Thanks 1