Day Trips To End Or Not

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Padders said:

Yippee, hope so,

Cleethorpes here we come,    10 bob and a packet of crisps.

went to Skegvegas last Sunday, Oh dear Me. What a dump. First time in 20+ years and I very quickly remembered why

17 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

went to Skegvegas last Sunday, Oh dear Me. What a dump. First time in 20+ years and I very quickly remembered why

....but but but just think how fantastic it will be if you could recreate that seaside ambiance right here in the heart of our city centre.   Hey we can even dupe council taxpayers to fund it and put a retractable roof on it for when the weather is miserable for the 11 months of the year. The Union Jack short wearing, hairy beer bellied brigade could hit the surf all year round a  mere 10-minute bus ride from home and still within stumbling distance of Greggs an't Bankers Draft

A sure fire winner I'm sure we all agree.  Yorkshire's own Brisbane.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest busdriver1
37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

....but but but just think how fantastic it will be if you could recreate that seaside ambiance right here in the heart of our city centre.   Hey we can even dupe council taxpayers to fund it and put a retractable roof on it for when the weather is miserable for the 11 months of the year. The Union Jack short wearing, hairy beer bellied brigade could hit the surf all year round a  mere 10-minute bus ride from home and still within stumbling distance of Greggs an't Bankers Draft

A sure fire winner I'm sure we all agree.  Yorkshire's own Brisbane.

Other than going back to Skegvegas I cant think of anything worse.

bridlington and whitbys nice and cleethorpes is improving,then theres scarbrough with peashome park and that end is nice,blackpool is improving,so it anit to bad,but as we say a 200 mile return journey = 5-6 gallons so with food its costly ,things where just starting to get better at the seaside,money was being invested,then mr bungles makes us worse off than the 40s okay not all his fault,but a lot is,but hes not bothered he will be off to somewhere well pricey .

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

I think we've ignored Sheffield's most obvious candidate for a roofed city centre beach area -

See the source image

Victoria Quays :banana: 🤿 🏄‍♀️ 

Sun Sea & Sheffield 8) .

Thanks for putting on all the pictures Rockers.

You can't see it on these pictures but there are also numerous food and drink oulets, ice cream parlours, and activities which bring in income too.

I disagree with ECCOnoob that this is a daft idea. With modern technology, solar heating etc I see no reason why it's not possible. It just has to be big enough and grand enough to attract visitors. 

We have the Winter Gardens, Worksop has the Tropical Butterfly House, Nottingham has Center Parks, Cornwall has the Eden project, there's also a artificial water surfing park somewhere, (can't remember where,) and there's artificial water skiing and sailing in Rother Valley, but no outdoor swimming. Every year, come the hot weather, people are killed swimming in quarries and other unsuitable places.

Imagine somewhere large enough and beautiful enough to include some or all of these under retractable roofs. And I do not object to Capitalism to pay for it, I object to capitalism being used to fund utilities and essential services where there is no obvious profit to be made. 

It would be a first for Sheffield. 

Our climate is supposed to be getting warmer. Let's embrace it

Edited by Anna B

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Thanks for putting on all the pictures Rockers.

You can't see it on these pictures but there are also numerous food and drink oulets, ice cream parlours, and activities which bring in income too.

I disagree with ECCOnoob that this is a daft idea. With modern technology, solar heating etc I see no reason why it's not possible. It just has to be big enough and grand enough to attract visitors. 

We have the Winter Gardens, Worksop has the Tropical Butterfly House, Nottingham has Center Parks, Cornwall has the Eden project, there's also a artificial water surfing park somewhere, (can't remember where,) and there's artificial water skiing and sailing in Rother Valley, but no outdoor swimming. Every year, come the hot weather, people are killed swimming in quarries and other unsuitable places.

Imagine somewhere large enough and beautiful enough to include some or all of these under retractable roofs. And I do not object to Capitalism to pay for it, I object to capitalism being used to fund utilities and essential services where there is no obvious profit to be made. 

It would be a first for Sheffield. 

Our climate is supposed to be getting warmer. Let's embrace it

Sorry Anna B.

Didn't want to do this  - but, on research (not my words)

The Seagaia Ocean Dome was a complex construct in Miyazaki Japan in 1993. If you’ve ever been to a waterpark, remember the wave pool? It was like that, except in a massive hangar, and with a whole host of tools to pretend you were living in a tropical paradise, from a fake rock lagoon that would erupt with “lava” to artificial white sand. It even had a retractable roof, so on rainy days you could still pretend you were beachcombing, and on sunny ones, it would shine through.

Unfortunately, the Seagaia Ocean Dome closed in 2007. There were a variety of reasons behind it, like the fact that you didn’t have to fork over twenty dollars a head to get into the real beach you could get to with a short walk, and a giant hangar is expensive to keep at 86 degrees at all times, especially with a sliding roof.

But we’ll always pictures, and a reminder that yes, absurd yet cool things can have a life on this world, however brief.

Keep safe 8) .

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Sorry Anna B.

Didn't want to do this  - but, on research (not my words)

The Seagaia Ocean Dome was a complex construct in Miyazaki Japan in 1993. If you’ve ever been to a waterpark, remember the wave pool? It was like that, except in a massive hangar, and with a whole host of tools to pretend you were living in a tropical paradise, from a fake rock lagoon that would erupt with “lava” to artificial white sand. It even had a retractable roof, so on rainy days you could still pretend you were beachcombing, and on sunny ones, it would shine through.

Unfortunately, the Seagaia Ocean Dome closed in 2007. There were a variety of reasons behind it, like the fact that you didn’t have to fork over twenty dollars a head to get into the real beach you could get to with a short walk, and a giant hangar is expensive to keep at 86 degrees at all times, especially with a sliding roof.

But we’ll always pictures, and a reminder that yes, absurd yet cool things can have a life on this world, however brief.

Keep safe 8) .

Thanks Rockers. Don't worry, I'm perfectly open to research, debate and reasoned argument.  

Sorry to hear about the demise of Seagaia Ocean Dome, so yes you have a good point.

However I have to point out that that was 30 years ago, things have moved on considerably since then, technology has much improved. And we are unfortunately not just a short walk away from a real beach in Sheffield, but a 4 hour round trip away, which makes a lot of difference, which is where we came in.. 

When I was a kid there were a number of outdoor swimming pools in Sheffield, all well used and popular. It's a pity they closed. There's also been a big boom in wild swimming, which has always struck me as quite dangerous unless you know what you're doing. I just think maybe we are ripe for a resurgence. 

Edited by Anna B