Day Trips To End Or Not

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Thanks Rockers. Don't worry, I'm perfectly open to research, debate and reasoned argument.  

Sorry to hear about the demise of Seagaia Ocean Dome, so yes you have a good point.

However I have to point out that that was 30 years ago, things have moved on considerably since then, technology has much improved. And we are unfortunately not just a short walk away from a real beach in Sheffield, but a 4 hour round trip away, which makes a lot of difference, which is where we came in.. 

When I was a kid there were a number of outdoor swimming pools in Sheffield, all well used and popular. It's a pity they closed. There's also been a big boom in wild swimming, which has always struck me as quite dangerous unless you know what you're doing. I just think maybe we are ripe for a resurgence. 

I remember the Lido and Hathersage well, as well as the likes of Broadfield Rd, Glossop Rd and Pond St bath's

Things were cheap as chips back then which made things more enjoyable / accessible.

I love sea swimming, the boom in 'wild swimming has to be down to people finding somewhere closer to home during Covid restrictions.

Thanks for understanding, it was only after thinking i'd like to know more about the domed beach picture myself did I find out about its demise.

Keep safe 8)

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thanks for putting on all the pictures Rockers.

You can't see it on these pictures but there are also numerous food and drink oulets, ice cream parlours, and activities which bring in income too.

I disagree with ECCOnoob that this is a daft idea. With modern technology, solar heating etc I see no reason why it's not possible. It just has to be big enough and grand enough to attract visitors. 

We have the Winter Gardens, Worksop has the Tropical Butterfly House, Nottingham has Center Parks, Cornwall has the Eden project, there's also a artificial water surfing park somewhere, (can't remember where,) and there's artificial water skiing and sailing in Rother Valley, but no outdoor swimming. Every year, come the hot weather, people are killed swimming in quarries and other unsuitable places.

Imagine somewhere large enough and beautiful enough to include some or all of these under retractable roofs. And I do not object to Capitalism to pay for it, I object to capitalism being used to fund utilities and essential services where there is no obvious profit to be made. 

It would be a first for Sheffield. 

Our climate is supposed to be getting warmer. Let's embrace it

Let's be very clear here Anna, what you have proposed and your comparisons with Brisbane is far more than just a little bit of 'outdoor swimming'. Perhaps if you have suggested a simple outdoor swimming pool I might have had a different thought process.  As it is, you seem to be advocating some huge mega tropical complex under a roof to which I don't see any sort of comfortable fit nor long-term commercial viability for.  Nor do I think it will even stop the dangers of swimming in unsuitable places. Idiots will always be idiots no matter what facilities they have round.

Ultimately, we are not and never will be some prime tourist destination.  

As for your final comment, it seems dangerous to me. Oh yeah, sod the ice caps and polar bears - let's embrace global warming, the thing that most of the civilised world is desperately trying to stop occurring. How silly will we look spending great expense and effort in abolishing our use of fossil fuels, going electric, eating plant-based and reducing our carbon emissions whilst simultaneously jumping into our swimming costumes, getting out there celebrating  the destruction of the ozone layer just cos it gives us a nice heatwave.... 

Edited by ECCOnoob

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Let's be very clear here Anna, what you have proposed and your comparisons with Brisbane is far more than just a little bit of 'outdoor swimming'. Perhaps if you have suggested a simple outdoor swimming pool I might have had a different thought process.  As it is, you seem to be advocating some huge mega tropical complex under a roof to which I don't see any sort of comfortable fit nor long-term commercial viability for.  Nor do I think it will even stop the dangers of swimming in unsuitable places. Idiots will always be idiots no matter what facilities they have round.

Ultimately, we are not and never will be some prime tourist destination.  

Ask for your final comment, it seems dangerous to me. Oh yeah, sod the ice caps and polar bears - let's embrace global warming, the thing that most of the civilised world is desperately trying to stop occurring. How silly will we look spending great expense and effort in abolishing our use of fossil fuels, going electric, eating plant-based and reducing our carbon emissions whilst simultaneously jumping into our swimming costumes, getting out there celebrating  the destruction of the ozone layer just cos it gives us a nice heatwave.... 

Just wanted to give your post a like, but it came on the screen and said, "Sorry you can't post anymore reactions today" must be a limit on them...

I always agree with Anna, but always find your posts informative, well documented, and you make some very interesting points.

Love em Echo :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

Just wanted to give your post a like, but it came on the screen and said, "Sorry you can't post anymore reactions today" must be a limit on them...

I always agree with Anna, but always find your posts informative, well documented, and you make some very interesting points.

Love em Echo :thumbsup:

Off topic slightly but have you had any nice crumpet in that bar a lately 

23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Off topic slightly but have you had any nice crumpet in that bar a lately 

Chance would be a fine thing Hackey..

Might have a trip to Cleethorpes, see if I can pick a fat B up...

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Flat lined   __/___/__/__/________________________________  ✝️ 👻

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

It was shut (or certainly looked like it) last time I went 🙃 .

So much lovely countryside, woods, parks, rocks, standing stones etc 10 to 15 mins away from Sheffield without going to the coast.

10 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Don't be silly, Mr Rockers!

It's not 'shut'...

... it's just in an advanced stage of streamlining it's operations. :roll:

9 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Flat lined   __/___/__/__/________________________________  ✝️ 👻

Can we stop picking on rotherham please?

It might be a hole but it my hole.

Wait, not sure I meant it like that.....

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Can we stop picking on rotherham please?

It might be a hole but it my hole.

Wait, not sure I meant it like that.....

Morning DADDY.

(Come on DADDY - claim to be a stalwart of Rotherham and can't even give it a capital 'R' 🤣 🤣 )

Rotherham, despite Meadowhall being built and the doom and gloom predictions 'it would shut, Rotherham' survived in its own rights for some time. We used to travel there clothes shopping for HTSBO (Caprice ?) (carboot & Welk stall for me). Unfortunately the place ain't looking so good now. Parkgate being built has probably more to do with the towns demise than Meadowhall. Easy access, free parking and  the addition of supermarkets, B&Q, the Range etc etc at the bottom of Broad St there's no wonder the town center has less foot fall than it used to. Rotherham council's small mindedness of weeding out all those free to park areas close to town & making them pay and display couldn't have helped :suspect: .

Peoples shopping expectations have changed and unless town centers can entice people back into them (free parking would help) the future ain't looking good.

PS; if you see my old mate 'Elvis' (everyone knows Rotherham's Elvis' tell him Rocker say's Hi!.

PPS; Rotherham sure ain't the same since they removed the quirky overpass 8) .

Keep safe out there 🧐 .

Guest makapaka
On 01/04/2022 at 10:04, bassett one said:

theres been talk that our trips to the seaside will cease this summer , due to the cost of living and petrol,will these facts stop you going or will you spend less once there? or go less?

Who’s been telling us that trips to the seaside will cease?

Edited by makapaka