Day Trips To End Or Not

On 01/04/2022 at 10:52, bungleboy69 said:

I'll be going to Rotherham instead. 

It's got everything SkegVegas has. 

Pound/cheap tat shops
Charity shops
Greggs on every street
Geriatrics/Obese riding at speed on mobility scooters without thought for anyone's safety
Peados looking at kids
Street crime unchecked by a seemingly invisible police force (although you'll see them in Rotherham on match day, funny how there's always loads of them then...)

2 hours ago, Meltman said:

Just make sure that Scarborough Fair is open before you set off. I went last year just before they closed for the winter. I  checked their website and it was open, when I (and quite a few others) got there it was shut for a private function. All the lady on the door could say was we should have checked the function page (which I couldn't find anyway). We had a day in Scarborough instead which was nice. 

Scarborough killed a LARGE portion of it's income because of the actions of just one individual. 

Car enthusiasts used to flock to Scarborough for drives and events until one night when some muppet decided that wheelspinning and then crashing on Marine Drive during an event was a good idea. Scarb's council decided that ALL car enthusiasts were evil and brought in a blanket ban. 

From people I know who owned businesses during the following year, the loss of income from thousands of missing visitors over the season was massive. Many tourist reliant businesses closed as a result. 

11 minutes ago, Resident said:

Pound/cheap tat shops
Charity shops
Greggs on every street
Geriatrics/Obese riding at speed on mobility scooters without thought for anyone's safety
Peados looking at kids
Street crime unchecked by a seemingly invisible police force (although you'll see them in Rotherham on match day, funny how there's always loads of them then...)

Clifton Park is tremendous though tbf

On 02/04/2022 at 20:42, Rockers rule said:

Parkgate and all the other developments nearby have had free parking from day one and now includes free parking (without restrictions) for those using the new (ish) tram train link.

When the new Tesco's opened it was free parking for up to 3 hrs then they introduced a charging system depending on you having shopped there. The carpark on the hill (fun when it was icy :bigsmile: ) did have limited free spaces at one time but were soon taken up. 

Enticing people back into the town center is going to be some task & something the abundance of  druggies, beggars and shoplifters hardly encourages. Peoples shopping expectations are different now-a-days, they want to use the car and have it nearby after shopping.

Like I said the 'Car-boot' on a Wednesday and the fresh fish /whelk / Tripe stall in the market were the only two shops I was interested in.

Rotherham having one of the biggest rates of covid in the population didn't help Rotherham city centre.

Keep safe out there 8)

The car park on the hill still has limited free spaces for 2 hours on other days. But all spaces are definitely free for an unlimited time on Saturday.

On 01/04/2022 at 15:10, Meltman said:

On the plus side there won't be any sharks in Sheffield.......oh..hang on a minute. 

There's no sharks in the pretend Brisbane sea either. I know these things, I lived there. What on earth am I doing back in this city? Don't answer that.

7 hours ago, Resident said:

Pound/cheap tat shops
Charity shops
Greggs on every street
Peados looking at kids

Paedos, you mean.

Rotherham has no sea. Skegness does but Las Vegas doesn't so I'm not sure why people insist on saying SkegVegas.

6 hours ago, MallyMon said:

There's no sharks in the pretend Brisbane sea either. I know these things, I lived there. What on earth am I doing back in this city? Don't answer that.

Paedos, you mean.

Rotherham has no sea. Skegness does but Las Vegas doesn't so I'm not sure why people insist on saying SkegVegas.

Abundance of Slot machines

7 hours ago, MallyMon said:

Paedos, you mean.

Skegness has sea, horrible brown stuff with dubious things floating in it. I'm not sure it's worth the trip.