Gambling Ads

Well one assumes they have other sources of income.  Quite a few of the ex footballers i've seen doing the ads were playing at the top level for many years.  They would have earnt a decent wage from that. Plus they do a lot of media work TV/Radio/Newspapers ect.

Just now, Zinger549 said:

Well one assumes they have other sources of income.  Quite a few of the ex footballers i've seen doing the ads were playing at the top level for many years.  They would have earnt a decent wage from that. Plus they do a lot of media work TV/Radio/Newspapers ect.

Plus no retired sportsperson is covered by either of these:

- Topflight footballers and footballers with a considerable following among under-18 on social media. 

- All sportspeople well-known to under-18s, including sportspeople with a considerable volume of under-18 followers on social media.

Under 18s generally dont follow retired footballers for crying out loud. The whole thing is very subjective. Who decides who is acceptable or not, what is the definition of "considerable volume/following"?

Edited by HeHasRisen

6 hours ago, ab6262 said:

how ridiculous the tiny minority that this affects a sledgehammer to crack a nut and to be fair if gamblers are stupid enough to be influenced by celeb ads they deserve to lose it all.

Says someone who knows nothing about the problem 

11 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The whole thing is very subjective.

Yes, this is probably the main point. 

Smoking adverts were banned for bad for health. 

Alcohol adverts remain. 

Gambling adverts are perfectly ok. 

Fastfood places are perfectly ok. 

Tax on cigarettes is very high these days - 'to stop people smoking' - or to raise money for lost incomes from advertising and taxes off that? (I'm not sure)

If alcohol adverts were removed, I think the cost of alcohol would increase heavily.

Gambling brings lots of revenue, so governments won't want to stop adverts for that. (not just this government, Labour opened up the market for lots of gambling establishments to open when Blair was in). 

Fastfood provides lots of employment. 

It's definitely difficult to quantify and work out what should or should not be allowed. 

It's too easy for people to say 'ban this!' , 'ban that!' , because they don't have the countries finances to balance up.

Edited by *_ash_*

19 hours ago, ab6262 said:

how ridiculous the tiny minority that this affects a sledgehammer to crack a nut and to be fair if gamblers are stupid enough to be influenced by celeb ads they deserve to lose it all.

I agree but I would add that anyone who gambles is stupid.

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

In an ideal World there would be no gambling ads on the television but the truth is these gambling companies generate a lot of revenue for the treasury from their huge profits.  Things have got out of hand nowadays with all the ways people can gamble.  It was much better in the old days when it was mainly just horse racing gambling where there is an element of skill studying form.  Even in the old days I knew of people who would work hard all week and blow all their wages at the weekend down at the bookies and their family members suffered as a consequence. 

My dad was one,out me off completely,have a quid on footy every week and that's it.

Richard Madely slagged gambling off then announced here's Andy Peters with the competition.

Edited by ukdobby

1 hour ago, ukdobby said:

My dad was one,out me off completely,have a quid on footy every week and that's it.

Richard Madely slagged gambling off then announced here's Andy Peters with the competition.

When Madely is in a Supermarket he doesn't get time to buy a lottery ticket, he is too busy hiding his shopping.  :hihi: