The Moor

Had to go into the CC this morning and decided to walk up The Moor. It was very clean and rubbish free, trading shops looked interesting, the closed ones are sad, but sad can turn to happy. Only a couple of young rough sleepers begging, no tramps, but that’s it there was zero going on, the market stalls were clean and stocked, but needed something else, that being an atmosphere, someone shouting the odds from their stall, stall owners laughing and joking between themselves and the public, something to make folk like me want to stay and have a look around which I didn’t.

All of this could be sorted, why not give it a try?

15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So essentially, you want market stall holders to be noisy. Is that the crux of your suggestion?

Do you agree or disagree with stall holders shouting the odd? I agree with it by the way, I’m sure that you have an opinion in addition to a question.

There used to be some great characters and banter between the stall holders in the old rag and tag market.  I think the term for the noisy ones was grafters or pitchers. It had a real, almost Dickensian atmosphere.

echo.

8 minutes ago, echo beach said:

There used to be some great characters and banter between the stall holders in the old rag and tag market.  I think the term for the noisy ones was grafters or pitchers. It had a real, almost Dickensian atmosphere.

echo.

Yes my Gran used to leave me at the fabrics stall of a guy named Harry, he was brilliant and I was still there when Gran had finished her shopping.

15 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Do you agree or disagree with stall holders shouting the odd? I agree with it by the way, I’m sure that you have an opinion in addition to a question.

pop down to the Moor at about 4:30 - 5:00, there's always market traders shouting, advertising to customers about stock that needs to be cleared before the end of the day

10 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I do, in the fact I couldnt really care less if market stall holders are noisy or not and doesnt impact or impede my enjoyment of a market (which is always very minimal) either way.

8 minutes ago, Mister M said:

pop down to the Moor at about 4:30 - 5:00, there's always market traders shouting, advertising to customers about stock that needs to be cleared before the end of the day

Glad to here it. :D

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

Glad to here it. :D

It's when there's bargains to be had. 

I made the mistake of going to Tescos on the Wicker on Sunday a few years ago near closing time, the people hovering around and scrapping for bargains put me mind of a bunch of vultures

20 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Yes my Gran used to leave me at the fabrics stall of a guy named Harry, he was brilliant and I was still there when Gran had finished her shopping.

I’ve got myself going now, I think that Harry was Jewish, I’m working on his surname.