The Moor

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

City centre sprawl is what the new development is trying to to change. For years our shopping has always been far too spread out.    Back in the day I remember  being dragged through Castle house, up High Street, up Fargate, round to Cole Brothers, out the back and all the way down the Moor to Atkinsons many a time.  Now like many other cities, the core shopping area is being condensed.  

To me, we don't need the 'old market area' to be kept alive for shopping, it's entire purpose is changing as is the rest of that part of town. Its  evolving and redeveloping into residential, leisure and social, which will  flow through nicely onto other mirroring development along Shalesmoor and into Kelham Island.

I wouldn't say there is little around Pond Street, its surrounded by several large University buildings, new residential, new office buildings.... Again, it's just a different purpose to what we were used to in the past.

Now I do agree the train station is a little out of the way, but in my experience that is very common in lots of cities, often because the rail stations were built up to a century prior to the modern day city layout. Manchester Piccadilly is a good hoof away from the primary core area as are places like Leicester, Newcastle, York, Norwich, Liverpool, Nottingham and most of the major London terminous.  To me, the the biggest hurdle we have here is our geography. Something we cannot really do much about. We are famed for being built on seven hills and this of course makes, what elsewhere, could be a simple straight line walk into a much more off-putting challenge.  I don't actually think the straight line distance is as long as people believe it to be.

I feel expanding the tram network internally around the city centre will be far too disruptive and costly. Instead we could go the Singapore, Hong Kong, Toronto or Monaco method by simply creating cut through walkways or linked building pathways through some of the bigger hills, installing escalators/moving walk or lift access between  different gradient.   In theory, such could fit well with the obvious plan to keep vehicles out of the central area and could be easier to install alongside the redevelopment work.  It has sort of already been done with The Light building or beneath St. Paul's Tower. It could be done again down Howard Street to the Station,  the bus interchange cutting up onto to High Street or maybe even Leopold/church Street down to Shalesmoor.

However, as with anything that involves public pathways, open escalators or underpasses, there is always the risk of scumbag element vandalising, urinating or generally congregating which turns it into something people seek to avoid.....What's the old phrase, we can never have anything nice.

I guess it's kind of strange because Kelham Island is filling up with housing, bars and eateries, which arguably is not in the CC but is within easy reach. To me, with the possible exception of Division/Devonshire St, the CC just doesn't feel vibrant. Re: your last paragraph, that's inevitable wherever people congregate.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out in 20-30 years time, doubt I'll be around to see it though 

On 16/04/2022 at 12:25, ECCOnoob said:

Now I do agree the train station is a little out of the way, but in my experience that is very common in lots of cities, often because the rail stations were built up to a century prior to the modern day city layout.

Yes; and of course the railway stations are the least movable features everywhere.

Why? Well, er, they need fixed railway lines serving them!

So everything else has to fit around them (not vice-versa).

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Lots of noise, hammering, drilling, coming from the old T J Hughes site at the bottom of The Moor that's going to be occupied by Sports Direct & a few others, according to the surrounding billboards. 

The old Williams & Glynn's Bank /  RBS Bank on Fitzwilliam Gate where Sports Direct will be sited just opposite & just down from the Moor Market?  I'm surprised that Wetherspoons haven't jumped into this property? 

Edited by Baron99

22 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Lots of noise, hammering, drilling, coming from the old T J Hughes site at the bottom of The Moor that's going to be occupied by Sports Direct & a few others, according to the surrounding billboards. 

The old Williams & Glynn's Bank /  RBS Bank on Fitzwilliam Gate where Sports Direct will be sited just opposite & just down from the Moor Market?  I'm surprised that Wetherspoons haven't jumped into this property? 

That's a good shout actually, Moorfoot and the Moor could do with  boozer or two. Long time since the Moorfoot Tav and Pump Tavern were open

16 minutes ago, crookesey said:

No multiple clothing and footwear stores, only one department store, I needed to visit my bank, but can’t think of any other reason to visit the CC.

H&M, New Look, River Island, Next, Tk Maxx, M&S, Sports Direct, Jd-Sports, Monki, Weekday, Blacks, YSM, Sa-kis, Clarks, Sketchers, Dichmann and Shoe Zone are all in the city centre.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I think The Moor could do with a pub, and somewhere near the bottom would probably be a good shout - it would tie in well with people coming and going from London/Ecclesall Roads and take some of the United matchday business too.

I think The Moor has been doing pretty well now in the few years since H&M, Next etc moved down from Fargate, all things considered. It's always busy whenever I happen to walk through. And there are cafes, restaurants there, and some bars nearby as well (Lane7, Furnace e.g.) but yes, an actual pub pretty much on the main strip would add a little something extra (even if I personally wouldn't necessarily use it often).