The Moor

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

H&M, New Look, River Island, Next, Tk Maxx, M&S, Sports Direct, Jd-Sports, Monki, Weekday, Blacks, YSM, Sa-kis, Clarks, Sketchers, Dichmann and Shoe Zone are all in the city centre.

Just shows how out of date I am, you didn’t mention department stores, have I missed any?

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I don't think it would matter what changes were made, people would always moan about the CC. Best to ignore them

Exactly, now it seems its "a lack of department stores", put it this was if they were still a successful concept Debehnams wouldnt have gone under, Alders wouldnt have gone either, and John Lewis/House of Fraser wouldnt have shut a load of stores nationwide. Going in Atkinsons is like going back in time.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Just shows how out of date I am, you didn’t mention department stores, have I missed any?

No I didn't mention department stores because you are quite right we only have one traditionally deemed department store and that's Atkinsons. But is that such a surprise given department store companies are going bust all over the world.  The ones that are surviving are severely reducing their store count or they are the selective/exclusive/premium ones which offer an entirely different type of shopping experience to be fairly compared to something like your average  Debenhams.   

Let's be very blunt here, For all the people who have fantasy pipedreams and protest they are just longing for a Harvey Nichols or Selfridges or Fortnum's to come to Sheffield it isn't going to happen. These companies aren't stupid. They know their market and they know where their regular trade is.   It isn't in a city like ours.  Good grief there are independent coffee shops where us locals baulk at the price.  I really don't see a regular passing trade of local customers popping in Harveys to pick up £70 eyeliner, a £900 Hermes scarf and having their £65 set lunch menu several times a month.

Back on topic, I don't know how often you come down into the city centre but it does concern me when people make criticisms and comments similar to yours about how there is seeming "nothing there" and yet are blindingly unaware to what there actually is.

Edited by ECCOnoob

26 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No I didn't mention department stores because you are quite right we only have one traditionally deemed department store and that's Atkinsons. But is that such a surprise given department store companies are going bust all over the world.  The ones that are surviving are severely reducing their store count or they are the selective/exclusive/premium ones which offer an entirely different type of shopping experience to be fairly compared to something like your average  Debenhams.   

Let's be very blunt here, For all the people who have fantasy pipedreams and protest they are just longing for a Harvey Nichols or Selfridges or Fortnum's to come to Sheffield it isn't going to happen. These companies aren't stupid. They know their market and they know where their regular trade is.   It isn't in a city like ours.  Good grief there are independent coffee shops where us locals baulk at the price.  I really don't see a regular passing trade of local customers popping in Harveys to pick up £70 eyeliner, a £900 Hermes scarf and having their £65 set lunch menu several times a month.

Back on topic, I don't know how often you come down into the city centre but it does concern me when people make criticisms and comments similar to yours about how there is seeming "nothing there" and yet are blindingly unaware to what there actually is.

Had I noticed anything that interested me I would have given it a look, I have to report negatively on both points. What interests one need doesn’t necessarily interest another, I was speaking for me and me alone,  we obviously don’t share each other’s tastes.

5 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Had I noticed anything that interested me I would have given it a look, I have to report negatively on both points. What interests one need doesn’t necessarily interest another, I was speaking for me and me alone,  we obviously don’t share each other’s tastes.

Fair enough.

But if you really couldn't find anything whatsoever that interests you for clothing purchases out of a broad list of stores ranging from budget Primark, mid-range M&S or Atkinsons through to boutique designer shops like Sa-kis...... I really can't think of many cities that could provide for your taste.

Each to their own I suppose.  

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Fair enough.

But if you really couldn't find anything whatsoever that interests you for clothing purchases out of a broad list of stores ranging from budget Primark, mid-range M&S or Atkinsons through to boutique designer shops like Sa-kis...... I really can't think of many cities that could provide for your taste.

Each to their own I suppose.  

I wasn’t even looking as my business in the CC was with my bankers.

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

No multiple clothing and footwear stores, only one department store, I needed to visit my bank, but can’t think of any other reason to visit the CC.

^^^^^^^^

But if you admit you were not looking at what businesses are around how did you reasonably come to the above criticism and opinion?

It goes back to what I said earlier, people are free to criticise and comment on the lackings of the city but, in my opinion they should at least have a real indication of what's actually there before they do so.  

I think we are all guilty of not properly exploring our own backyard. We become too accustomed to it and only focus on our favourite bits, or more often than not, see nothing but the bad bits, ignoring everything else. Just to look at any of a local rags up and down the country and it's the same comments and criticisms and whinging no matter what city or town people seem to live in.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

^^^^^^^^

But if you admit you were not looking at what businesses are around how did you reasonably come to the above criticism and opinion?

It goes back to what I said earlier, people are free to criticise and comment on the lackings of the city but, in my opinion they should at least have a real indication of what's actually there before they do so.  

I think we are all guilty of not properly exploring our own backyard. We become too accustomed to it and only focus on our favourite bits, or more often than not, see nothing but the bad bits, ignoring everything else. Just to look at any of a local rags up and down the country and it's the same comments and criticisms and whinging no matter what city or town people seem to live in.

When I’m in say London, I have rarely visited to buy anything, but often have. Please refrain from instructing me how to think, I’m the most confusing person that I’ve never met.

21 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

If Harrods can open a beauty shop in The Metrocentre at Gateshead a few miles from Newcastle I can’t see why shops such as Harvey Nichols and Selfridges, on a smaller version, can’t do the same in Sheffield.  I agree with you that there isn’t a market for those type of shops in Sheffield City Centre but Meadowhall is a different story. 

The Metrocentre up here is like a ghost town in parts, you can walk along one of the upper floors and most of the shops are boarded up.  Some of it due to the covid lockdowns but not all. I can’t say the same about Meadowhall which is much nicer and busier.  However Harrods is willing to take a risk with a long term contract so they must have done some market research before deciding to open their shop, they won’t be relying on the  people of Gateshead and Newcastle to keep the shop open, they are hoping to attract customers from further afield.  

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/harrords-beauty-store-champagne-bar-21116770