Banning Cyclists From Using Mobile Phones

On 19/04/2022 at 10:27, Tipstaff said:

Some of our roads are too busy and unsafe for cyclists to share. Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t want to cycle on the route I take on my work commute.  Cyclists are at great risk of serious injury generally on our roads and if they’re using a mobile phone whilst cycling they aren’t in proper control of their conveyance.

What route is that?

On 19/04/2022 at 10:43, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I disagree. I think it's both. I've seen drivers who appear to be deliberately making it awkward for cyclists and vice versa. 

The difference is motorists can be easily held accountable where as it's much more difficult to do that with cyclists.

Coming up Manchester Road Friday 2 cyclists side by side making it difficult to pass,not the only time it's happened,keeps the traffic behind at 10MPH.

To be honest they make it a pain in the roads.

41 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Coming up Manchester Road Friday 2 cyclists side by side making it difficult to pass,not the only time it's happened,keeps the traffic behind at 10MPH.

To be honest they make it a pain in the roads.

Probably delayed for how long, 1 minute, 2 minutes. And you'll sit in traffic for hours and hours.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:43, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I disagree. I think it's both. I've seen drivers who appear to be deliberately making it awkward for cyclists and vice versa. 

The difference is motorists can be easily held accountable where as it's much more difficult to do that with cyclists.

The other difference is that cyclists and pedestrians are killed and maimed by motorists.

Bike haters don't need an excuse to hijack a post for their selfish thoughts and attitudes.

Getting back to the grenade of a post, it already said in the article,  "It is not a specific offence to cycle and use a mobile phone or headphones, but cyclists and e-bike riders can be prosecuted by the police for careless and dangerous cycling with maximum fines of £1,000 and £2,500 respectively."

Like stupid drivers you get stupid cyclists, a new law isn't necessary. Its a politician shouting their mouth off as that's what they do.

• Like 3

Walking through Sheffield Botanical Gardens yesterday where cycling is banned. One cyclist, average bloke on a bog standard bicycle, sat on the saddle just moving the bike with his feet.  It would have been much easier to get off & push. 

Another but this time a lycra lout in his mid 30's racing full pelt on a trail type bike, in & out of the shrubbery, treating the Gardens like they were his personal downhill course. 

Clearly when some get on a bicycle, they loose all ability to read the no cycling / cyclist please dismount rules at the gates.   

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Walking through Sheffield Botanical Gardens yesterday where cycling is banned. One cyclist, average bloke on a bog standard bicycle, sat on the saddle just moving the bike with his feet.  It would have been much easier to get off & push. 

Another but this time a lycra lout in his mid 30's racing full pelt in & out of the shrubbery, treating the Gardens like they were his personal downhill course. 

Clearly when some get on a bicycle, they loose all ability to read the No cycling / cyclist please dismount rules at the gates.   

Just like the "NO VEHICLES" signage on The Moor during pedestrian zone operational times. 

But according to SYP cyclists don't kill anyone so they're free to break the law....

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Just like the "NO VEHICLES" signage on The Moor during pedestrian zone operational times. 

But according to SYP cyclists don't kill anyone so they're free to break the law....

Where and when have SYP communicated that cyclists don’t kill anyone and are free to commit offences please? 😲

Edited by Tipstaff
Misspelled